1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blank DVD-R not recognized

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by NWitch, May 20, 2007.

1. NWitch

NWitch Guest

I have a box of Mitsumi DVD-R. They are not recognized by my machine, my husband's machine, nor a Liteon burn anything.

I get an "insert disc" error or "no media present" with any software I try (which is everything except Nero which I do not use.

DVD Identifier was able to recognize the disc. Is there something wrong with the pre-recorded header that could be repaired with software? If so, how or what? I really don't want 200 coasters.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:AML]
    Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
    Manufacturer Name : [Advance Media Limited]
    Manufacturer ID : [AML]
    Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4.71 GB (4.38 GiB)]
    [ DVD Identifier V5.0.1 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

Other DVD-R discs record with no problems on all 3 machines; currently we have some Imation ones.

MW

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2007
  2. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

The problem is that your drives do not recognize the media code for the Mitsumi discs and do not know what to do with them in terms of applying laser power. It may be possible to update one or more of your drives' firmware with a newer version that may contain instructions for this MID (Media IDentification) code. Firmware updates typically include new codes for additional media types after a drive has been released to the market. If there are no firmware updates available, the discs cannot be used, unfortunately. If you post the model numbers of your drives and their firmware versions, people can tell you if there are newer updates available that may help.

3. NWitch

NWitch Guest

DVD drives Pioneer DVR 104 Firmware 1.30
    Pioneer DVR 110D Firmware 1.41
    Firmware updated on 2nd drive; none available for 1st
    Computer Sony VAIO

Liteon 5005 Video Recorder firmware current
    on home entertainment system

Liteon drive on my husband's machine
    HP

I find it strange that none of the above drives accept these discs. Note that both machines are different and all 4 burners are also different.

MW

4. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

The AML's are dodgy at best...find a brand that works for you and stick with them. Verbatim seems to yeild a high degree of compatability.

There may be a firmware update for the 104D depending on which drive you actually have...

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=298

But the last update was in 2005, so I wouldn't hope for much.

The 110D is current according to rpc1 and is a year old.

5. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

The Pioneer 104 should be the least likely to support the AML code because it is the oldest drive. Lite-on typically has wide support for a number of different discs, but the OEM buyers of the drives may not require such complete support. That is a problem with Sony versions of Lite-on drives. The computers make little difference; you really have only Pioneer and Lite-on models, and neither appears to support the Mitsumi discs. It would probably be less expensive to switch to a different brand instead of buying a new drive that will support them.

6. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

That was certainly a diplomatic approach...LOL

7. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hi,

Suggestions: Put in microware for 2 minutes, and enjoy the show !

or use for target practice with a 12gage shotgun !

Hehehehehe !!!

Verbatim, Taiyo Yuden are 1st class media.
    Just using those will probably fix 95% of all your burning issues !

8. NWitch

NWitch Guest

Thank you people.

I really have no burning problems and have used a wide variety of media. I was just hoping I could use these discs for something other than coasters. Oh well.

MW