1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

blank media i should buy!

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by uzmeplz, Jan 28, 2005.

1. uzmeplz

uzmeplz Guest

Hello,First of all thank you for takeing time to read this post.What blank media should i buy,to cut down my coaster count.Also dvd-r or dvd+r.Thank you for your time!
    shane

2. SurfDude

SurfDude Member

A good media is +R [bold]BUT[/bold] most DVD Players (specially old ones) support -R

A good one? go here http://www.supermediastore.com/media1.html

There you can find the RATINGS of the different Brands and if you decide to buy it just click on the one you want, I buy from them, fast shipping! good prices!

3. uzmeplz

uzmeplz Guest

SurfDude,Thanks for the heads up on the web site.It looks like the place i need to be.Thats what i thought +r seemed to be the best from what I've read.Thanks again.Happy ripping!

4. SurfDude

SurfDude Member

No problem, if you're getting +R make sure your stand along support that media. Good Luck and BURN BABY, BURN!!

5. uzmeplz

uzmeplz Guest

SurfDude,Just bought a pack of ritek 50 16x dvd+r for a steal!With free shipping!Hey gota just say thanks.They realy do have some good deals.

6. JLebowski

JLebowski Member

I have never seen any data supporting your statement that +R are better than -R. If you have any I would like to see it. I have had good success with Ritek G04 and even Fuji made by Prodisc F01

7. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

a rw disc( if your burner supports rw's ) until you correct your problem . quality media like taiyo yuden , vertbatim , or made in japan media is where most of the quality media is made . hope this helps

8. SurfDude

SurfDude Member

I said so because that the one I'm using now (actually I use both).[bold]But I Have To Say You're Right[/bold] there's NO difference between + & -

9. JLebowski

JLebowski Member

Thanks Surfdude, I just wanted to make sure b/c I have had the same question, and after searching quite a bit was unable to determine one is better than the other. I use mostly -R and have great success, but have also used some +R that worked equally as well. I think it depends more on the users DVD player and Burners compatibilty for + or - .

10. CG_Gurl80

CG_Gurl80 Guest

Yep, there is no quality difference between + and - . Some say that - media is more compatible with some older stand alone players but I've been able to play both on all of my DVD players and so have all of my family and friends. I'm sure there are instances where one will work where the other won't but that has become more the exception rather than the norm.

11. jbelder

jbelder Member

I would go with Prodisc S03 4x -R burned thousands with only a couple coasters my own fault. Iam using a Dvr-108

12. HaiTac

HaiTac Member

13. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

@ HaiTac

I take it you've used the Gigastorage media you're recommending? What's the manufactuer ID on them?

14. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

uzmeplz..DVD plus R..isnt better than DVD dash R..just different formats. and meritline.com has better prices than the supermedia store. so you might check out that site too.

15. jbelder

jbelder Member

Quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have never seen any data supporting your statement that +R are better than -R. If you have any I would like to see it. I have had good success with Ritek G04 and even Fuji made by Prodisc F01
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I said so because that the one I'm using now (actually I use both).But I Have To Say You're Right there's NO difference between + & -

Oh!but there is a big difference dash burn way better than plus as far as burn quality. Do some PI/PO testing and you will see.

16. JLebowski

JLebowski Member

why not use - and + symbols instead of saying dash and plus ?? also there is no proof that -R burn "way better" than +R, even though I prefer -R b/c I have had good sucess with them. But, the +R that i have burned have proved to burn and playback equally as well. It is more of a compatibilty issue with the individual users "Burner, stanalone player, and dvd rom". I just don't like statment that falsly state +R or -R is better than the other b/c it isn't true. What works for one user may not be the best for another user anyway!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2005
  17. bydasword

bydasword Guest

[bold]http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm[/bold]

here is a great site i've been using as a quideline to purchasing media. quite lengthly page, but it's informaiton can proove useful. hope it helps!!

18. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

At this point in time and all things considered there is no "better" format.

It's important to keep in mind that many folks when they encounter problems with one of the formats immediately claim that format sucks without considering it may have to do with their drive's firmware, the quality of the media they're using, the burn speed, the player being used, the software used and so on and so forth. There are many many other variables to consider before claiming one format sucks compared to the other.

19. CG_Gurl80

CG_Gurl80 Guest

Completely concur with Nephilim. Also, take into consideration that your experience will vary from others of course. Just because one person had a bad experience with - , does not mean that the next person will. There are just too many opinions out there to make a universal statement that rings true in this regard. That fact alone should tell you all you need to know about what is the "better" format. Cheers.

20. Bohefus

Bohefus Regular member

There [bold]is[/bold] a difference between - and + media but you probably wont notice the difference unless your drive doesn't change the booktype setting from +R to dvdrom.If your drive keeps the +R booktype setting it probably will only play on your computer.