1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blank spot in Audio during playback

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by ajaround, Mar 13, 2004.

1. ajaround

ajaround Member

I am using TMPGEnc to convert to svcd, and then I use splitting software to split the file so that I can get in onto 2 disks. Problem is, after I burn it onto a cd, I have little hesitations in the audio while trying to watch the movie. Alos, the video sometimes freezes for a split second during playback, and this might happen throughout the entire movie. This never happened to me before and I have made many svcd's before. Does anyone know why this may have started, and how I may be able to avoid it? Thanks

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Are these Problems Present in the Mpeg files after encodeing but before Burning??? If not then What it sounds Like to me is a Bitrate Spike problem which is pretty common with Tmpgenc encoded files and some DVD Players..Some times the Bitrate will Suddenly spike and the DVD Player doesn"t have enought time to suddenly spin the disk to read the increased data rate so you get Jumps in the Video and audio...I had this Problem many many times and it makes your movies allmost unwatchable, I ended up switching encoders and getting a DVD Burner because of these problems with SVCD Movies, I transfered all my screwed up SVCD"s to DVD and now they all Play Fine because DVD"s can handle higher bitrates and Burners are so cheap now that allmost anyone can afford one ,I have seen them for a s low as $70....
    If this is the Only movie you have had problems with then count your self Lucky, I would suggest you Maybe encode the File again but use a Lower Bitrate or if you used a VBR setting use a CBR instead...well good luck

3. ajaround

ajaround Member

It is not the only one I had trouble with.Lately it has been every one I encode. I will try lowering the bitrate, but sometimes it doesnt let me lower it. I have always raised the bitrate as high as I could because someone once told me that the higher the bitrate, the better. Funny thing is, my sister has the exact same dvd player as I do, and when she watches the svcd's, that I burned, they hesitate more than they do when I play them on mine. Sometimes , after the hesitation, the audio and video get out of sync. Then, after a few minutes, it gets back into sync.Very frustrating. Thanks for the reply.

4. ajaround

ajaround Member

I have been using a CBR setting. Should I try a VBR setting instead. Also, what other encoders have you had success with? I have tried the Mainconcept encoder, but havent had much seccess with it. Any suggestions? Thanks

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

No a VBR setting would make it worse...The Best encoders I have used are either Tmpgenc ,MainConcept ,Canopus Procoder and CCE but CCE is Quite complicated to use but is one of the fastest and best for mpeg2 encodeing...Just encodeing at a Slightly lower Bitrate might help like maybe 2200kbs it will also allow you to fit more Video on each CD-R and remember to Burn the VCD/SVCD"s at the Lowest Speed Possible cuz Burning at too high a speed can cause Problems....Cheers

6. ajaround

ajaround Member

Iuse TMPGEnc currently, and I have tried MainConcept, but with MainConcept, I seem to have audio/video sync problems. I will try one of the others that you have suggested and fool around with the bitrate and lower my burning speed. Right now I burn at 40x's. Is that too high, in your opinion? Thanks for all the helpful info.

7. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well That could even be the Problem, Burning at 40X is way Too Fast..VCD and SVCD have No error Correction data and most other CD formats have 100mb of data put away for error correction and that is why you can fit 800mb on a 700mb CD-R in VCD and SVCD Format, But without this error correction all the errors that Happen when Burning at High speed will be read by your DVD Player, I usually burned at 8X speed or 12X max but some poeple Burn at 4X speed just to be safe....Cheers