1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blaster 360 or a Chip?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by DiNGi, May 13, 2007.

1. DiNGi

DiNGi Member

Hey guys been reading various articles around the net but can't decide whether to go for a Blaster 360 or a chip. Whats the pros and cons of them and if I would get a chip, what would I go for?

I live in the UK so ill probably have to order from the US.

Also I have the 'ring of death' on my old 360 which I want to mod. If I remove the foil, add paste etc etc will it actually start to work again?

I did the towel trick, worked for a day, and made me laugh :p

Thanks in advance guys afterdawn peeps havent let me down yet!

Peace.

2. steimy

steimy Active member

Blaster 360.
    Reason:
    because you can not just take a chip out without good soldering skills and such. The blaster 360 you can reflash the original firmware back to your console and remove it. And if you are good enough you can even save the security sticker from being damaged when you remove it. This would mean that you could put your 360 back to an original 100% covered warranty condition.

3. iam1

iam1 Member

Hi Dingi

i was just reading your post, and as steimy, helped you out, being a good lad that he is, i was also reading the post about the quick fix sadalius had done over at team Modders???

If you still have the ring of death, you could try his little trick?? or unless you have nothing to lose, unless of course you are going to chip/mod it anyway
    Take care dude

HERE: Mr. Blah, this is just a little FYI, I know it's a little late, but I came across a 360 exhibiting the same symptoms as yours did. The 3 red lights or error 0102. I actually fixed that 360 using the "towel method" as I didn't have a heat gun. Here is the procedure that I did.

1. I connected up the 360 to a power source but did not power it on just yet.
    2. I wrapped the 360 in a towel, I actually used a heavy blanket just because it was quite a bit larger than a towel and I could make sure that all the air vents and holes were blocked good and tight.
    3. Positioned the 360 in a level horizontal position and powered it on and let it stay powered up for around 13 minutes.
    4. Powered off the 360 and left it in a horizontal position and took the blanket off and let it cool down for around 30 minutes.
    5. With the 360 still in the horizontal position, I connected the video cable and turned it back on. It worked. I left it at the dashboard for around an hour. Powered it off and left it sit over night. Got up the next morning around 4 AM, (had to leave for work at 5, lol) and played oblivion for around 45 minutes. No glitches or lockups.

After I got off work that evening, I gave the 360 back to my friend and he's had it for a week now with no problems reported. Now I have a feeling that it's just a matter of time before it fails again as from what I have read, it generally comes back sooner or later, but at least he's had this much more time with his $400 dollar investment. Now I have heard of a place that you can send your 360 and have the GPU, CPU and RAM removed and re-balled using regular solder instead of the lead-free crap but I don't know much about that yet.

I thought I would share that with you as you've experienced this first hand.

4. steimy

steimy Active member

Yes sadalius is a good man. Really knows what he is doing. He modded my 360 as i am a moderator at Teammodders and Xtreme-Source with him.

5. iam1

iam1 Member

Hi Steimy

There seems to be so much confusion, regarding chips/mods for everyone it would seem, i mean for me, for some strange reason, i seem to want to update certain things because the need is there for me??

I like many other people can and do make mistake's but try to learn by them
    any how just thought i would share that thought with you dude
    bye for now