1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

blinking light on dvdr drive

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by pltnm0071, Mar 4, 2007.

1. pltnm0071

pltnm0071 Guest

hey my dvdr drive is blinking orange i got a virus and had to restore my computer i updated the firmware and now it notices the drive is there (under "my computer" and properties of the dvdr drive it says its working fine) but it doent read any discs mayb i didnt upgrade the firmware completely or something i dont know i have a hp pavilion a720n with a lite-on dvdrw SOHW-812S someone please help

2. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Try resetting the drive with Device Manager.

- right click on My Computer and select Properties.
    - click the Hardware tab and then the Device Manager button.
    - expand DVD/CD ROM drives.
    - right click on the name of your burner ans select Uninstall.
    - Click OK
    - restart your system.

3. pltnm0071

pltnm0071 Guest

i already tried that like 4 times lol anything else?

4. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Laptop drives can be finicky. What happens when you put a disk in? Does it just sit and spin? Spin up and then back down? If you know how, take the drive out, reboot your system, and then reinstall the burner. Did it work before you reinstalled your OS? It may just be the burner is bad. I don't think the firmware has been updated for a year. I think the latest is USOS.

5. pltnm0071

pltnm0071 Guest

it isnt a laptop its a desktop hp pavilion a720n and yes the drive worked fine before i restored it but now im really in a pickle because i cant restore my computer because my drives messed up so it wont read the restore disc lol i dont know how to take out the drive so i m not going to lol anything else i can try?

6. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Hello again. Sorry about misidentifying your burner. I had two windows open with two different problems and just got a little confused.

Did you reformat your hard disk and reinstall the OS or go back to an earlier restore point?

Try downloading and reflashing the firmware again. Here's the link:

http://www.liteonit.com/DOWNLOADS/ODD/SOHW-812S/firmware/DR8US0S.zip

You don't have to actually take the drive out to do a hard uninstall. Just open the case and unplug the data cable and the power cable to the burner. Then restart a couple of times and then shutdown and reinstall both cables.

I suppose it's also possible a driver's been installed that interfering with the drive. If there are any earlier restore points, pick one of those and try.

About the only way to know whether the drive actually works and the system setup is fouled is to actually take it out and place it in a nother system.

7. pltnm0071

pltnm0071 Guest

i didnt do a restore point thing i did a complete restore so i cant even restore it to a time before i restored it i used that link and it seemed like it was working at first because the orange blinking light turned into a green blinking light during the conversion but once completed it saif to reboot so i clicked yes when it powered back up it was orange again should i try hard uninstalling it ? how do i take the case off is there a link to guide you could provide me with is greatly apreciate it thankyou

8. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Didn't you get a manual with this pc? It should show you how to open its case. Then unplug the drive power and ide cables, as laddyboy suggests. If no manual go to HP site and download it.

9. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

10. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

laddyboy, you're not going to make him do anything on his own? LOL