1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

blocking msn messenger

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by jcburf, Jul 26, 2003.

1. jcburf

jcburf Member

is there a way i can block msn messenger from being downloaded to my computer? i delete it but my kid sister keeps downloading it back on. im running windows xp. any help is much appreciated -thanks

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Delete as in deleteing the folder or remvoing (i.e., uninstalling it): Control Panel --> Add/Remove Programs --> Add/Remove Windows Components --> Uncheck MSN Messenger)

1. In IE --> Tools --> Options --> Security --> Restricted Zone and add http://messenger.msn.com/
    2. Firewall http://messenger.msn.com/ and messenger.hotmail.com and port 1863 (make sure you also password your firewall)
    3. Write a script to delete the contents of whatever folder MSN is in
    4. Open up MSN.exe (or whatever it is) in notepad, delete a couple random lines and save it hehe
    5. Downoad Advanced XP Tweak (www.tweakinternals.com) and check the option to remove it. Also remember to disable install from internet (also found in IE --> Tools --> Options --> Advanced --> Enable Install on Demand)
    6. if you are behind a router, firewall http://messenger.msn.com/ and messenger.hotmail.com (because software firewalls are so much easier to finkle with) and make sure to forward port 1863 to the middle of Nebraska.

3. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Why dont u get peerguardian and block the messenger website?? lol that would stop it!

4. sparkgap

sparkgap Member

You as a member of the admin group can set
    your kid sister's login id's permission for
    Read and Execute to Deny for the
    (and Modify for that matter)
    exe file
    C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

I have done that for my own ID, to keep it from running.

5. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

If there is only one account (as is the case for most family comps) then the kid can just uninstall peer guardian -- I would! :)

6. ModIt

ModIt Member

Hey can anyone help me am looking for a program to block ip address or block people from going to certain sites and i don't want to use a firewall and this must be on a Win Xp system ok thanks in advance for any help_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Biostar M6VLR
    Intel Celeron 1.3Ghz
    512MB SDRAM
    Windows 2000 Professional
    SONY DRU 500AX
    Samsung 332B
    Norcent RW481
    [/small]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2003