1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"blockyness" while coverting avi's to VCDs

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by cofused, Jun 11, 2002.

1. cofused

cofused Guest

Wonderboy... great idea. Actually, I was just sitting here trying to figure out how to fix the "blockyness". I noticed that on some other VCDs(acquired from a friend) that the movie was converted in wide screen. Am I wrong, or will this help with the "blockyness"? All of my outputs(final copies) are full screen. Also, if I am right, how do I get TMPGEnc to convert to widescreen? Or is that the "center keep aspect ratio"? In the preview, it doesn't look like it will be widescreen. If TMPGnc does not convert to widescreen, can you recommend anything? By the way, the Divx codecs did the trick. All I have to do now is try and get rid of the "blockyness". I appreciate any help you, or anyone, can give. Thanks again in advance. :):)

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Blockiness is caused by the fact that VCD's resolution isn't that great after all and that you're anyway dropping the quality when encoding into lossy format. AND you're not using perfect source (DVD), but instead something that has already significantly reduced in terms of quality (DivX), so you can't really expect to get anything neat out of that. You can try to play with the smoothing filters, etcetc that might help you with certain movies, but not with all.