1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bloody hell I hate "The Abyss" - Experiences welcomed

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by kinch, Oct 25, 2002.

1. kinch

kinch Member

Hi All
    I'm new at this game but have had success to date on 7/7 titles including LOTR so if nothing else I believe I can follow instructions.

However The Abyss (SE) has me stumped because of its damned seamless branching (theatre/Director versions)

To date I have tried...

1. IFO mode in DVD decrypter specifying the longer of the 2 titlesets (Dir's cut) and then attempting with IFOEDIT to split the resulting output to 2 folders but this crashes on me - probably an ifoedit on xp thing

2.The standard IfoEdit approach with splitting to 2 folders and tidy up. Disk 2 is fine as you'd expect but Disk 1 is a pain

Of course I've read the general techniques here and at doom9 but I would appreciate any comments from peoplewho have gazed into the abyss and lived to tell the tale (or something)

On a general note - I am amazed at how much cool stuff DVD decypter alone can do. Is it better to do as much 'pre-processing' as possible with DVD Decrypter such as stream stripping, titleset selection, chapter selection etc rather than simply dumping all to disk and then using ifoedit to do it
    What are the pros and cons of one technique versus the other and can rework be eliminated

Phew - And I'm spent ...

2. Elayne

Elayne Regular member

Hi, I just did the Abyss. I used Smartripper to rip and split into two dvds. I had no problem at all. Once I made the two folders 1 and 2, I ripped have the 'movie' chapters into folder 1 and the second half of the chapters into folder 2. I opened ifoedit and did the vob extras, saved to VIDEO_TS, re-opened ifoedit and got the vts sectors, then played the movie. Changed the name of VIDEO_TS to '1'.
    Opened up folder 1 and deleted the vob files except for 01. Moved the vob files from '2' into folder 1. Changed vob 4 to vob 2 and so on. Did the ifoedit thing and played the movie. If it played, I burned it and then the first half of the movie. Both discs play on my Apex.