1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blotches on DVD +R's

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by shark29, Jan 18, 2005.

1. shark29

shark29 Member

About 3 weeks ago, I just bought a new Memorex 16 +/- DVD+RW burner as my other one was getting tired. I have noticed however that after just about every burn, there is a tiny little blotch at just about the same place on every disc I have burned so far. I am using Verbatim 4X +R's with the MCC ID Code. Every disk I have played has played back fine thus far, just wondering why this one blotch keeps showing up at almost the exact same spot each time. It shows up about halfway between the center and the edge of the disc. You have to really look hard to find it, but its there. Never had this happen before with the old burner I had - burned about 800 discs with it! Anyone have any ideas what is causing this by chance?

Thanks,

Shark

2. shark29

shark29 Member

I forgot to mention, I do not have hacked firmware, I am only burning at 4X.

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey shark29,that's pretty weird. Do those verbatim mcc's have the 002 code or 003 code?

Did you try to re-rip one of those backups to see if it would work? It may give you a crc error.

4. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

I had three instances where I burned using 16x Verbatims at top speed and got the blotches, but unlike shark29 mine will freeze when the player reaches those parts. I can't even skip past them. I had never used Verbatim media before that, so I didn't know if it was those particular discs being defective or somthing to do with the speed I burned at. I have since been bunring at 12x and it seems to be working great.

Oh, and by the way regardless of what firmware you have you can't burn faster than what the media allows.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2005
  5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey wolfnigger: " Regardless of what firmware you have you can't burn faster than what the media allows"

I can burn sony +1-8x at 16 speed. I can burn verbatim +8x at 12x, no problems on burning or stand alone playability on them. That is with the original firmware. Both brands of media were made in Japan. My verbatim and sony's made in thaiwan can't do that.

16x verbatim are made in taiwan. I wouldn't want to pay the price of what staples want for them when I got 300 sony +1-8x's. $20.00 for spindle of 50.

I have seen a huge difference between the taiwanese verbs and the japanese verbs. The verbs in japan will allow me to re-rip them with ease.

6. shark29

shark29 Member

Hey Saugmon,

The media code is MCC 002. As far as re-ripping, I have only used DVD X Copy thus far because it has been perfect for what I needed. Since I cant rerip a DVD burned by DVD X Copy I will probably need to download Decrypter and Shrink that I have read about often on this forum. I guess that will be the tell tale sign if these DVD's will have problems or not, even though they may play fine now. Just odd how it is in the same place every time, its almost as if the burning process does something after a certain amount of time into the burn, changes speeds or something. I dont do anything on my computer until the burn is done.

7. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

saugmon, I only paid $15 for two 25 packs of the Verbatim 16X. My burners could read DVD-+R at 16x regardless of the speed they were burned at, but I never knew you were able to burn faster than what the media specified. I have some Vebatim DVD+R DL discs that are 2.4X, but at the top of the package it says it can burn at 4x. Do your japanese discs specify they can be burned at higher speeds somewhere else on the package? Would I be able to burn at a faster speed using those discs or is it because of your firmware that you are able to do it?

8. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey wolf, The label just says +1-8x. I got a 25 pack at staples a while back for $10.00. I usually leave my settings at max because I wanted to give them a good workout for errors. 16x was no problem. I like to be able to rerip my backups so I usually use the +8x verb media life plus on these. That is when my max speed registered 12x on them. Now I have to recheck my settings if I try different media. I am not sure of my firmware. I found several links on it.I bought an iomega idvd16dd. my pc recognizes it as a benq 1610 and nero and dvd shrink recognizes it as a 1620.

Looking up the firmware for benq 1620,the latest is g7m9 for the bulk,and g7t9 for the retail. I might have the bulk unit ?,made for iomega. It's performing great so I'll leave the firmware update alone. Not bad for a $40.00 burner after rebate.

Scanning through media on ebay,some sellers list the brands and speeds of media for them with the burners that are compatable with them. Many of them will burn faster than the listed speed on label. Some models will burn slower than listed speed.

9. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Very interesting, I will look into this a bit more. Thanks for the info saugmon.

10. shark29

shark29 Member

I just re-ripped one of the backups that has this blotch on it using DVD Shrink. It read right through with no crc's. The backup is under 4.3 GB so I didnt have to worry about shrinking it. Am I to assume this blotch isnt something deep enough to corrupt the data on the disk? Like I said, all disks I have tried have played fine so far, but it seems everyone who had blotches on their discs has always had some sort of problem after reading through the forums on this site. I will try a couple more to see what happens. But good news so far!

11. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey shark29,since they passed the reripped test,you should be ok.

Those verbatim +4x's that coded out as mcc-002: I had them on the verbatim movie quality +4x and verbatim media life +4x. They are not too bad.I'll take the mcc-003 over them any day.
    I mainly use the + formats as my other khpermedia 8x and cyberhome dvd recorder are + only. Still trying to find the right discs for that home recorder.

Keep an eye on those blotches and maybe even try a small pack of maxell's and see if those blotches are still there.

Hey wolf, I am doing the entire friday night lights disc on my spare pc using the sony +1-8x. The maxell +4x and verbatim 4x are only burning at 2.4x max speed. These sony's will max out at 8x.It's just a basic khypermedia 8x.

12. shark29

shark29 Member

Well, get this, I had another Verbatim spindle so I used it - no blotches on the burned disks thus far. Every single disc in the other spindle but one had the blotch. Its weird because this blotch was not on any of these discs before burning, I checked to make sure once I was aware of the problem. I dont see how it could be a manufacturing problem, because its the same tiny little area each time that has the blotch after burning. I doubt during the manufacturing process dye was misproportioned on each disk in that same tiny area. Oh well, one of those things that makes you go Hmmmmmmm I guess :) At least all the discs with blotches seem to be fine.