1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blu-Ray Compression ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by binmax, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Senth

Senth Member

Been using Anydvd for ripping the Blu ray and used Tsmuxer to demux the file. I have notice that the Video File is larger then 25 gigs. is there a way to just to compress the video file? Does Ripbot and bdrebuilder do the trick?
    And been trying to rip movie BOLT and and demux it. saw that the movie file is split up to several different segments of the movie. is there a way to combine the files to make it to one?

2. Senth

Senth Member

Also wanted to see if there is a way to put 3 to 5 regular dvd movies on to a Blu ray 25 gig media?

3. syxguns

syxguns Active member

This question is a little difficult to answer. I'm not familiar with a software that will allow you to convert a DVD to BD format, but their may be one available. It would be a great space saver to have multiple shows on one BD. However, there is the problem with the way the two formats are different that comes into play. You may be able to do it, and watch it on your PC, but you will not be able to view it on your Blue Ray drive. Kinda sucks!! :)

4. byngo

byngo Regular member

Chevyll, Maybe you can help me understand something.
    I have been quite used to using anydvd HD to rip a Bluray iso to my HDD and or creating a file rip. I mount my iso files and play with PowerDVD.
    Now then, since these files are very big I started looking into shrinking (not burning though).
    I have done this successfully and followed a guide to use EAC3to to identify which MPLS file (Playlist) was tagged to the main movie stream (m2ts file). Then I used TSmuxer to isolate that stream, un-check the bloat i did not need leaving 1 video and 1 audio and select "create Bluray disc". The output can be made into an iso with imgburn and of course is usually much smaller.
    From your guide, can I skip the eac3to part and just identify the biggest m2ts file, untick bloat, select create bluray disk and create an image from the output?? You seem to be de-muxing video and audio, then muxing them back together and selecting create bluray disk which is an additonal step to me???
    What point am I missing?

5. chevyll

chevyll Member

Yeah that is an extra step you dont need to do. I was just trying to help out I usaully just use bdrebuilder or ripbot to make bd-9. So yeah you can just use tsmuxer to do that. But if you want to shrink evan more you can use ripbot only and it lets you choose how big of a file you want. So you can shrink it to 15 gig 13 gig or what ever you want to save space but it takes a lot of time to do so depending on your system.

6. byngo

byngo Regular member

Thanks,
    The stumbling point I have came across was converting to DVD. I did the TSMuxer bit, then tried to make a dvd with "ConvertX to DVD". This almost worked except i relasied that the resulting iso had no Audio. This was because I had saved the HD audio file in TSMUXER and Convert X to DVD could not handle to conversion to AC3.
    I think there were other audio tracks in AC3 I could have saved but only the True HD track said english.
    If I follow your process, do i need to be careful which audi tracks i ditch or can the program handle true HD to AC3 conversion?

7. chevyll

chevyll Member

I have made a few dvd's from blurays. Its been awhile since I've done this cant remember the exact process I used. I know TMPGenc now suports blurays so if you you want to buy that program you can use that to convert it to mpeg2. You can burn a mpeg2 file staight to a disc and play it on almost all stand alone dvd players the dvd players that I have not been able to play mpeg2 files on are recordable players for some reason they dont read the files. I dont know if there are any free programs like TMPGenc but for the 100 dollars for that program is well worth it if you like messing around with video I use that and pinnacle studio 11 ultimate to make dvd's. I also have adobe premiere production witch I paid major coin for and I use studio 11 more than I use adobe(over rated).

8. byngo

byngo Regular member

Thanks for the advice, Managed to convert my first Blu to DVD yesterday and I think it might be one of the fastest ways too,

1) ripped to hd with ANYDVDHD
    2) got rid of crap and demuxed with TSMUXER
    3) Used "AC3To" strip the DTS core audio from True HD back to AC3 5.1 (replacing the original demuxed audio with the new one)
    4) Re muxed the files with TSMUXER (Create Bluray Disc option)
    5) Used "Convert X to DVD" to re-encode & burn the shrunk (& with AC3 audio) file to a dual layer DVD.

This whole process takes about 3.5 hours on a 40 gig file and the result is a great DVD-9 with 5.1 AC3 audio.

You may be wondering why i needed to use AC3to on the audio. That's because Convert X to DVD (or the version i have) cannot handle the True HD audio track so the resulting file would have no audio at all and if I tried to select one of the exisiting AC3 5.1 audio tracks already on the Bluray instead of the True HD at the demux stage, the end result had the "audio descriptive mix only"

9. yoginder

yoginder Member

There is an option for the he true-Hd audio.....

10. deathkron

deathkron Member

chevyll,

hi, i tried the short tutorial on TSMuxer that you posted here on march22@13:46. I believe I did everything as you specified, but when I burned with imageburn, I got a few 'mismatch' errors and the sound on the burnt disk became unstable around half way through the movie...it was like "bluh bloop bluh blooop" till the end.
    The movie is yes man, and on a 25gb blank.
    I've also tried with bdrebuilder to no avail.
    Perhaps I can entice you to come to my thread on the topic as you have super knowledge and no1 else is helping me out :(

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/768828

11. byngo

byngo Regular member

I found a better way to shrink a bluray to reasonable size,
    Google "Clown BD"

12. Senth

Senth Member

With trial and error. IT seems like BD rebuilder is the best bet to make compress it to 25gig blu ray disk. I used Tmuxer and Ripbot but BD rebuilder has not let me down so far.

My Set up
    1.Rip using Anydvd HD (REgistered)
    2.Use BD rebuilder to compressto 25 gig disk. i usually keep dts and english sub. output to bd disk format. THis step might take a while 6 to 12 hours depends on movie and computer.
    3. Make ISO file with imgburn. put the bdmv and cert folder in.
    4. Burn ISO to Blank BD disk with img burn.

So far im 6/6 using this steps. Benjamin button was one of them and it took the longest cuz the movie is 2:45 min long.but quality is near same that u cant notice.

PS also noticed to have mulitple HDD will help cuz wont over bear one HD from readin and writing at the same time. this will improve compression of files faster.

13. binmax

binmax Regular member

Try using a dual-layer DVD to compare your results. I have compared a few dual-layer DVDs with 25Gb BD blanks and I can't see any difference. Plus dual-layers take up less HD space and are cheaper.

14. Senth

Senth Member

Tmuxer is good but its only good when u know the Video + audio is less then 23 gigs. Majority of movies i ripped the Video file alone is 25gig+.
    Plus Seems like Some Movie stream file are spliced(segments of movie are in differnt files) Usualy you see that the video file is biggest file in the stream folder but last 2 ripps i did the movie was split in to 5 to 6 differnt files.
    and i dont think Tmuxer has a option to put them together.

Thats why BD rebuilder is better in some way. it will figure out the right order of stream and take cares of the encoding of each file on its own. Only problem i had with BD rebuilder was with WALLe the initial "walt Disney" segment was not right.. but the movie part was correct

15. Senth

Senth Member

havent done that yet.
    But ill give it a try.

16. byngo

byngo Regular member

Senth,
    What you could try is getting the rip down to main movie,+ 1Audio and 1 sub to see if it comes down to the Single layer BD-R disc size quite quickly before you re-encode it with BD Rebuilder which takes quite a while.
    I see you have AnydvdHD like me, so with Vista (or the Toshiba UDF drivers installed on XP)you can rip and strip at the same time staright from the disc.
    I use Clown BD which is a GUI pulling together the useful elements of EAC3to, TS Muxer and IMGBurn. Clown bd will run these programs straight of the disc or the rip on your HD.
    The last one I did took 1.5 hours from start to a 23 gig shrunk iso.
    I take the opportunity to extract the DTS core (can be encoded at the same time to AC3 5.1 )from True HD tracks cause the audio file is then much smaller too and my audio system only does Dolby/DTS 5.1 anyway and still sounds great.
    You could pause at the Imgburn part, see how big the file folder is, and if needed put it through BD rebuilder to get it smaller.

On the DVD-9 side, i have done this once so far from an already shrunk iso of a recent bond film.
    The result of coming down from 40 ish Gig to 8.5 gig was definately not as good as the proper DVD would have been, but not bad.
    That took just under 3 hours (add on the original shrink time down to Main movie, 1 audio, 1 sub)

17. byngo

byngo Regular member

Actually, the above is quicker than i thought.
    I put a bluray in the drive and started Clown_BD.
    Went out for two hours. Came back and I had a 17gig iso of it on my hard drive.
    Great!

18. Senth

Senth Member

Hmm ill give clown bd a try,looks like a faster program. anyone got a reliable link to that program?

Link it please.

19. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Clown BD Home Page Link

Last edited: May 9, 2009