1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blu ray compression

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by cdan, Mar 5, 2011.

1. 8686

8686 Member

Ordered the burner + 10 discs from Newegg for $108, yesterday around 11am (NY) and it will be waiting for me when I get home. I'm sure i will be returning with lots of questions.

2. cdan

cdan Regular member

let me know how that works. What burner did you get.....sony 205 bks?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  3. bigwop

bigwop Regular member

Where in NY. I'm originally from Syracuse. Retired 3 years ago to Palm Bay,Fl. My burner is a Lite-On 212. My player is a Panasonic BD-45 I got at PCRichard.com for 88.88 with free shipping. I was going to tell Cdan to just download the trial version of DVDFAB blu ray copy to see the compression results for himself but after reading I realize he doesn't have a burner or player. My bad. Splitting is not a problem it's getting off the chair to change disks when watching LOL. If I understand your question in post 20 are you asking if your 10gb regular dvd will transfer to a blu ray disk? I believe the answer is no but don't quote me. File structure is completely different. You would need the blu ray version of this movie to copy. Now that I'm thinking about your question more, it probably would transfer to blank blu ray and if it did play it wouldn't be hidef. Your player would be looking for blu ray files on a blu ray disk and not getting the right ones. So may not play.

3D
    Fab has blu ray copy 3D. I believe its a separate price. You got to create an ISO and can't compress. I'm just winging this off memory from what I've read on the forum.

PS3
    Sony has come out with a new copy protection called Cinavia. PS3's with a firmware version 3.15 and above has this. The latest Sony movies has this also. On the movie they place a watermark in the audio. When you put a store bought disk in it reads the copy protection,it sees it then no problem, it plays fine. Now you do a burn which removes the copy protection. The PS3 sees no copy protection after 20 minutes of playing issues a warning and then mutes your audio!!! DVDfab has a work around for this built into the latest version of their program. However my lite on burner is NOT capable of creating fab's cinavia disk. LG is one burner that will. And this creation will not play on regular BD players just PS3's. Some regular BD players have this protection in them also. Fab is working on making it capable to play on all players or just remove it completely. So I bought a panasonic that is not Cinavia infected so I need not worry. As far as I know no burners are infected yet. There is a whole sticky thread under blu ray copy in the fab forum about Cinavia and since you have a PS3 I thought you should know. I'm not updating my firmware at all as they can put this in the player through updates.

Cdan
    You can do whole disk or just movie only and compress it down to fit. On compression just make sure you select BD25.

Just saw best buy has Sony 400 disk blu ray player for $800. They also have a better version for $1500. Won't have to get out of the chair at all !!!!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  4. 8686

8686 Member

Bigwop, I'm from Medford, Long Island. The burner I just got is the LG WH10LS30

I got these discs too.

That sucks about the ps3. I just updated the ps3 about a week ago. I also use my pc as a HTPC using Windows Media Center, so hopefully I have other options. Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah I was wondering if I take the VIDEO_TS folder from the dvd and burn it to a BD-R, would it play in ps3, like a dvd? I'll have to look into it. Not a big concern, more curious than anything else.

Ha! I bought their 400 disc music jukebox about 6 years ago. It was the best thing I ever bought at the time. I went all digital in my car & home about 2 years ago and never looked back. I still have it and tried to sell it on Craigslist but no bites.

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

8686, edit your sig to conform to forum specs ASAP as only allowed 5 lines of text & you have 6.

6. bigwop

bigwop Regular member

Let me know how those Optimum disks work out, nice to have an alternative in price. I do use imgburn but only for dvd+r DL disks. Does a great job. My setup is also, dvdshrink, dvd decrypter to burn with anydvdhd to decrypt. As noted I added dvdFAB blu ray copy. Forgot to mention fab BR copy is like $107 for lifetime plus 20% discount code. For me it was worth it. My anydvdhd is also lifetime which was purchased as a xmas present for me. My computer specs are considered low with respect to copying blu rays but so far no trouble. The only thing I hate is when a movie, even after removing everything including down mixing the HD audio,just goes over the disk limit and I still have to split it. But I want true blu ray SO I split. My computer is hooked to my 1080P tv through the serial port with no HD graphics card. I can see the difference in picture quality even though I'm not getting blu ray this way. Pop it in my BD player and wow what a difference. Keep me posted on how its going.

7. 8686

8686 Member

I threw my Book of eli & Gladiator BRs in the drive to test it out. I just used the dvdfabhd free version for now to test it out. I did full disc BD50 on both of them. Eli went without a hitch. It was only 17 gigs or so, and was surprised that it ripped it in about 15 minutes. Gladiator was a different story. I had to dl the newest version of fab and use the free passkey program and it finally worked. However, when looking to extract just the main movie, I saw 2 of each movie. My disc has the theatrical, extended, and some other version on it, and it showed 2 of each, so I didn't know which one to choose. It was also about 35 gigs, so I just backed up the whole thing onto my hard drive.

Burned a backup of one of my dvds onto a DVD DL and it adhered to the 2.4x max write speed that was printed on the disc. My DVD burner usually burns them at 4x. I will change the imgburn to 4x instead of AWS (MAX) and see what happens.

8. 8686

8686 Member

Wow didn't know you can do it through the serial port. My newest grafx card (in my sig) allows 3 outputs, utilizing display port. I connect my dual monitors at my desk and the third (HDMI) goes straight to my 40" sony 1080p lcd. Actually to my receiver, then to my tv.

Those discs had really great reviews on Newegg and I saw a bunch of people on this forum talking about them. Can't believe they are only $1. I too want full picture quality, but it does really suck to have to get up halfway through the movie to change discs. Maybe I will keep the >25 g movies backed up on my hard drive and figure out how to play them through WMC. Or just play the originals with the 2-disc backups kept for safe keeping. Some of these BRs are not cheap.

I am thinking of trying out the rips to make sure everything worked. I'll use VLC player I'm guessing.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  9. bigwop

bigwop Regular member

1. You don't need passkey. Blu ray copy has its own decrypter. You own blu ray copy so your all set. Hope you didn't buy passkey.

2. I just did Gladiator a few weeks ago, movie only. The program always selects the correct title, heck some have 4 or 5, this goes for all movies. The others are linked to foreign audio, director's commentary, hearing impaired etc. Its the selection of the audio thats always wrong. Like I said before uncheck all that it picks and select the top english audio HD etc. Always leave it set to BD50. BD25 is if you want to compress. While doing 2nd disk you will see in GB the whole movie again. Don't worry it's normal. As long as you set the title/end settings it will copy and burn what you selected. Gladiator is huge. I split it at 1hr 41min for the first disk so I can sit down longer LOL. Came out great.

3. English subtitles, leave them. I'll give an example. The movie Patton has 2. I did the movie removing these. When the germans spoke the audio was in german but NO english subtitles. I redid it leaving the english in, still nothing. Went into the subtitles in Power dvd 9, my software player, and had to manually select english2 while disk was playing and it worked. The original disk auto selected english2. No one knows why this happens. To avoid making coasters leave them in, can't hurt. Not all BD disks are designed this way but better safe than sorry.

10. 8686

8686 Member

Ok, I'll look at Gladiator again. I'm using the free version of dvdfab, it expires in a month. If you go to their website and scroll to the bottom you will see "Free Stuff". I have always used dvdfab hd decryptor. It's free and works 100% w/ my dvd's and it says it will work with "Some" BRs. Eventually I will have to purchase it.

So, I loaded up Gladiator and by default it selects title 13. I see what you mean about the audio. The other title above it is title 10. I can see these 2 titles are the extended ones because they are 15 minutes longer than the other 2 titles. The only difference between titles 10 & 13 is that 13 has subtitles and 10 does not. I guess this is how it knows this is the movie I want.

So, if I select chapter 1 - 17 for the first disc, do I choose 17-29 for the second, or 18-29? dumb question maybe. I just want to make sure that A: I don't miss a chapter (that would suck) and B: when the BR-DL disc are more affordable and it comes time to merge these two disc, I don't want to have a chapter repeat itself.

Thanks for all your help.

ps the passkey is a free download on fab website.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  11. bigwop

bigwop Regular member

I downloaded fab by specifically picking blu ray copy. Fab decrypter is for regular dvds. I didn't chose free stuff. You just pick blu ray copy, new version is out by the way, and don't pay and you auto get 30 days free. You are correct on Gladiator. Auto picked the correct extended version. Answer to your question: 1-17, 18-35 etc. Process takes alot longer than regular dvds that I write it down so I don't forget where I split it LOL. Getting older I guess.

12. 8686

8686 Member

Ok, great.

13. 8686

8686 Member

Something weird with my new BD-R drive. When burning a dvd-DL it won't burn @ 4x. IMGBURN gives an error listed below. The speed on the disc does say 2.4x, but why would my old Lite-On (same manufacturer as my new drive, btw) DVD burner be able to burn @ 4x and not this one? Weird, no?

W 21:07:34 Write Speed Miscompare! - Wanted: 5,540 KB/s (4x), Got: 3,324 KB/s (2.4x)

Well, I popped in a bunch more of my BR discs, and so far only one was able to fit on a 25g disc (Book of Eli). The rest are all way over (Gladiator, Minority Report,Predators, Sin City). I guess this explains why those BD-R compression forums are so popular. :( My spare drive space is being eaten up with bible propotions, and I wanted more space to dump the backups of my recently purchased Friends box set.

14. bigwop

bigwop Regular member

Your drive is not capable of burning at a faster speed than what is rated on the disk. I have a lite on 212 and doing Dvd-dl I set it at 2.4 (my disk rating) and I get miscompare 2.4, actual 2.0 everytime. Now that I think about it I haven't done dvd-dl with this drive yet. It's new and I've only done blu ray. My old drive that came with the computer gave me those numbers.

Blu Ray tip:

Click little arrow below preview box to close it while the disk is scanning. Seems to speed up the scan. I just upgraded to version 8082 and its already up to 8085,jeez.

I did fantastic 4 Silver Surfer, Night of the museum 2, Wild Hogs. All 3 fit on 25gb movie only, top english audio. I did Live Free or Die Hard and the best I could get was 25.xxx. I split it.

Under this new version, 2 of these movies picked the correct audio, one picked the correct audio because it was the only english audio there (no ac3 just foreign audio there) and the 4th one picked everything !!! Maybe they are working on it. Never saw this before.

15. 8686

8686 Member

Yeah, it's weird. Every single drive I have ever had never adhered to the rated speed on the disc. 1st time. Thanks for the tip. It does seem a to take a long to time to scan. My drives are LG not Lite-on.

There is also something called "Ripguard" or Riplock that is built into the firmware on my drive. Apparently it locks the read speed at a really low rate to discourage people ripping BRs. There is already a firmware update to flash it and remove ripguard. Maybe future firmware updates will allow it to write faster. I actually never noticed it ripping slow. Takes about 15 minutes. It also has the added bonus of being quiet.

16. 8686

8686 Member

I did some more experimenting. I have a BR where the main movie fits on a 25 g disc. What I would like to do (which works great in Shrink), is do the movie only on one disc and then backup the whole disc with everything except the movie. This way I could have 1 disc with the movie and the other disc as special features. I know I could just shrink the whole thing down to a 25 g disc, but it looked like it was going to take a really long time. Then I thought what if I could just compress it down to a DVD-R DL disc. I really don't care about quality of the special features. I don't know if an m2ts file on a dvd could be read by a blu ray player, regardless I couldn't find a way to do this in Fab.

I wish there was an "Express" encoding feature that would do it more quickly. I think it said somewhere around 8 hours or so.

17. bigwop

bigwop Regular member

Fab is working on a customization tool to quite possibly do what you are trying, no time frame yet. I bought my blu rays for the movie not special features. If I want to see the features I just pop in the original. I don't think I've watched them more than twice. If you read the forum most of the problems are with compression, creating iso, doing 3D etc. Very very very few problems about copying main movie with no compression or splitting movie to avoid compression. With compression they like you to copy whole disk to a folder on your hard drive, then compress it to the temp folder in fab, set fab to BD25, then burn. Saves wear and tear on your BD writer. Let the hard drive do all the work. They also like, in options, to set it to a slow scan to be as accurate as possible (compressing only). Compression takes along time because of the huge files your dealing with. Your computer specs have alot to do with it also. I don't mess around, if it ain't broke don't fix it.