1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blu-Ray on Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac - General discussion' started by supermac7, Dec 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. supermac7

supermac7 Member

Is there a way to play Blu-Ray discs on Macintosh systems without having a Blu-Ray player phisically installed on your mac, EXAMPLE:Using a software you download from the internet?

chrismas.albert likes this.
  2. Gneiss1

Gneiss1 Regular member

Though I'm a little unsure of the question, it is not possible to play a Blu-ray disc from your 3d-party Blu-ray drive, but you can play a Blu-ray video as a file on your hard disk. Its standard format is suffixed with .m2ts.

If the free, download-able VLC or Mplayer can't play it, which they should, you can convert it to a mpeg-4 file with Handbrake and play that.

Mac Video Players of Blu-ray Files

3. asilay328

asilay328 Member

I have actually attempted just to Rip Blu-Rays on my IMAC with Toast 10 Platinum Edition. My Imac just spit out the BD and wouldn't even allow me look at the Data on the disc. They are M2TS files but I think the normal super drive on Macs is insufficient at seeing through the multiple layers of a BD. What you can do is buy a blu-ray reader/burner externally and connect it through a USB or Firewire depending on your unit. $150 - $350

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  4. chrismas.albert

chrismas.albert Member

As I known, Macgo is the only one Mac Blu-ray Player can play Blu ray directly. This was the original program and the one that works the best. VLC does not support playback of commercial Blu-ray discs with copy protection. Those require decryption keys, which only a commercial player can provide. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_Blu-ray_Player

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.