1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blu Ray Player's Upconversion

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by theoman, Aug 17, 2012.

1. theoman

theoman Member

Hi,
    I'm getting a Blu Ray player and I was hoping someone could enlighten me on the subject of DVD upscaling. I know that it won't make the DVDs look just like Blu Ray but will it make the picture noticiably better? I ordered a LG BD610 for under $30 so I felt I had to buy it.

2. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

If the player does have the up converting feature, you should notice some improvement. Some units may be better or worse than others. Depends on how good your eyes are, too. "Your mileage may vary".

My unit says to use an HDMI cable to up convert. Be sure you do if the manual says to. I notice a slight improvement, but no big deal.

Enjoy.

3. Tiger25

Tiger25 Active member

Yes, there's a slight improvement, but as the bitrate or transfer quality don't actually change (no extra data to convert into more detail) it's just a little smoother and better, but the effects of bad transfers may be more evident as well. As always, some units do it better than others.