1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

blue magic 3.1 modchip?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by mandogg, Mar 15, 2003.

1. mandogg

mandogg Member

i've been told by an installer that the magic 3.1 used to come in a blue color. I know that the magic 3 chip came in blue but I only want the magic 3.1 chip. The installer says that 3.1's used to come in blue but not anymore and he said that he was going to install chips that he ordered a while back. Is this true, or is he trying to sell me a clone or a magic 3?

2. colt45joe

colt45joe Guest

official magic 3.1 is fire red, blue is probably magic 3.0

3. wcpir8

wcpir8 Guest

I am made to understand that it's the flashed data in the chip that really matters as that is where the update is.

4. c7015

c7015 Regular member

they can be either
    the magic makers had some blue boards left over when they upgraded the model so instead of wasting the boards they used them with there new chip untill they ran out of blue boards then switched to red

5. Temporary

Temporary Member

The Magic 3.1s were indeed manufactured on blue PCB for quite some time, it's only been a few months that china magic has been using the red PCBs. The code does not differ - 3.1 = 3.1 = 3.1. If you see it with a sticker on top and it comes out of an antistatic bag you're good to go.

6. mandogg

mandogg Member

thanks alot guys. i was just a bit confused b/c some websites such as www.modchip.ca state that ALL magic 3.1 chips that are not red and don't correspond with the ones that they sell are fake. i guess i can go ahead and get the guy to install on my ps2.

7. PrnMan

PrnMan Guest

Guys, it really dont matter if its a knock off or original. You can't go wrong with a $14.25 knockoff 3.0. I have the genuine $30.00 3.1 fire red in bag and i see no difference between that and a 14.25 3.0. They run just as smooth, boot just as slow :) (cuz their magics) and never had a single problem with them.

8. kosmorok1

kosmorok1 Member

ok i got question... i got a ps2 w/magic 3.1u v7... how do i back up my ps2 dvd based games... using dvd-r/rw media cause that is the only media my dvd burner uses... also what application and how to use them sorry to ask for too much but am a newbie at this kinda stuff... thanx...