1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bluray error

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by broughy, Oct 8, 2011.

1. broughy

broughy Member

hi everyone

im relativly new to blu-ray, most of my collection i must admit is old 80s action movies.

However, ive rented predator 1 and 2. 1 worked fine, but 2 wont play. i get this message in a red screen

your blu ray player requires an update in order to play this disc. please visit your blu-ray player manufacturers website and follow their instructions to update your blu-ray player.

my blu-ray drive is the LG GGW HL20
    using PowerDvd 11 and running on windows 7 64 bit edition.

ive updated powerdvd and the LG GGW HL20 drive to there newest drivers. however, on the LG website it would appear that the drivers dont support windows 7. i flashed the drive anyways, and its still installed.

im using an Nvidia Geforce GTS 450 graphics card.
    AMD Athlon 2 X4 processor
    8GB ram.

this is the first disc i have come across with this, but having researched this topic for about 6 hours with no avail, i think it is a common errror, epscially in fox disc and newer releases like avatar.

my question then is, how do i go about fixing this please

thanks[/b]

2. Aldiii

Aldiii Member

Check and see if LG has a FIRMWARE up date for your player.

3. broughy

broughy Member

There was a driver. I updated that.

The funny thing is if I open it with ripping software and say, just rip the movie. I can watch it from the computer. Which makes me think its somthing to do with my hardware and software struggling to open the java menues. Its the first disc I've come across. But I'm new to bluray.

What you think.

Thanks

4. broughy

broughy Member

Anyone know why?

5. Aldiii

Aldiii Member

I have to agree.

I use AnyDvDHD, it`s a driver that run in the back ground and scans the disc.
    I have it set to show a window after the scan is done, that tells me the
    repairs it`s made. There has been allot of patching the java on newer disc`s.

If I get that up date screen on a disc, I just start AnyDvDHD and usually it will play.
    There has been a couple disc that they would not play, but if I back up the files of the disc to my hard drive, the files could be played from there.

My Blu-Ray movies I have had some issues on full back up, so now I just back up the main movie and I don`t seam to have a problem of them playing on the computer or Blu-Ray player that is hooked up to my TV.

6. broughy

broughy Member

thanks, i have the same setup as you. and in general, i think blu-ray looks amazing on my 50" LCD. DVDs started looking very grainy and pixelated in places.

some old movies like rocky dont look much different, but some movies have a much better transfer.

im just annoyed that i cant just pop the disc in and play. i tend to think i will need to buy a new blu-ray drive when i can afford one. i don't think its powerdvd 11 because its fully updated.

im also surprised that there has not been a firmware update to fix this.

but i really don't understand why this is, because the drive can clearly read the disc, because i can rip the movie to the hard drive. its as if there is some sort of copy protection on the disc that my drive cant read without decrypting software.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  7. cactikid

cactikid Active member

some blu ray discs sets come with a copy version and code in the set,similar problem i had with a pioneer blu ray needed an update,which was a flash update.things are updating all the time and i now see a powerdvd 12