1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Body Count Dashboard Update

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by Gnosis33, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Gnosis33

Gnosis33 Member

hello guys would love your input on the following,
    recently I updated my console to dashboard 2.0.13599.0 and upgraded my firmware to
    LT+ 1.9.1 when I put the game body count in it is asking me to update in order to play the game. I have heard other titles are affected with this update ( madden 12 & rugby world cup) why is it asking me to update if I have the latest changes on my system?
    is it safe to proceed any further ? what should I do??

any input from the experts would be appreciated
    Thank You goodbye.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  2. sn0wman1

sn0wman1 Regular member

Its probably just a game update, it usually tells you if its a system update, the games not actually released yet so you are taking a big risk playing it early anyway. Any achievements earned are time stamped and uploaded to M$ next time you connect online, you could get flagged!!

3. Gnosis33

Gnosis33 Member

thank you for responding, I hope it is only a game update , but from what I have been reading the update on the disc has reflashed peoples firmware back to stock... so I am scared to update for now. I hope microsoft has not found a way to put dash board updates on most of its new games causing me to reflash my stuff everytime. that would put a serious dent on my gaming. :( well for now its an unfounded fear and I will sit and wait to hear what the official statements about this disc update have to say.
    nonetheless thank you for responding.

peace
    Steve

4. funksoulb

funksoulb Regular member

They're not. Achievements are only time stamped if you're connected to Xbox Live when the achievements are unlocked. If the console is not connected to Live, they're not time stamped because you have to set the date and time manually. If you unplug the console, then plug it back in, it doesn't remember the date/time and it sets the date to 2005, so if it did time stamp achievements, they would all be stamped with a date from 2005 - which is precisely why they're not date stamped unless you're connected to Xbox Live. If the 360 isn't connected to Xbox Live it has no idea what the real date or time is.

If you look at Xbox.com under your list of played games, the achievements you've unlocked while connected to Live are date stamped and it also shows the last date you played that game. If you were not connected to Live, the achievements have no date and just say "Acquired" and it does not show the last date that you played the game, so that's nothing to worry about.

As for the update, I'm on 2.0.13599.0 and I was not prompted to update when booting that game. If you're playing the game while connected to Live, then it could be a title update, because you can't even connect to Xbox Live unless you have the latest dashboard installed anyway. If you are NOT connected to Xbox Live, then it's a dashboard update, because title updates are only delivered via Xbox Live. If that's the case, then I don't know why you're being prompted to update when you're already on that dashboard version, unless you downloaded the dashboard from some site where an incomplete version of it had been uploaded by someone else. If you updated via Xbox Live or via the downloadable version of the dashboard on Xbox.com, then I really don't know what the cause is.

The dashboard that's included on the Bodycount disc is definitely 2.0.13599.0 because if you put the disc into a PC DVD drive, the name of the disc is "13599", so it's not some newer update that's only on that game disc - besides, if it was, I'd have been prompted to update too.

Also, I don't think that MS are going to reflash drives with every update. It's too risky, cos a bad flash may bork the console. I think they've only done it to prepare drives for the new disc type, so it will only need to be done once for that reason, not every time there's a new dash. Who knows though? Maybe they will do it every time just to annoy people with modded consoles, but if I was to put money on it I would say that they won't.

5. Gnosis33

Gnosis33 Member

thank you for your comments, I am completely perplexed with this issue.
    just so you know I did plug it in and downloaded the latest dash via the internet. I also upgraded the firmware. (I am still trying to contact my modder to see if he did in fact install LT+ 1.9.1 instead of LT 1.9 but I suspect that has not much to do with it,
    Also people have had major problems with the update crashing right in the middle of installation, could this be because of a bad burn? or with the game itself. either way though I dont want to risk it until I am able to get confirmation that there's nothing screwey with the updates on both Body Count and Madden. would hate to see my stuff bricked or flashed back to stock. oh btw its interesting that you are able to boot body count have you tried madden or rugby world cup?
    again thanks for the comments they are all appreciated.

Steve

6. funksoulb

funksoulb Regular member

I haven't tried Madden or Rugby World Cup, but they're both wave 12 and contain an older dashboard update than the one that's on the Bodycount disc, which is the first wave 13 game, so I can't see why I'd have a problem if I did try one of those games.

The Bodycount update problem for some users is because they're on an older dashboard version and haven't flashed their drive back to stock before trying to update. In some cases, the dashboard update will just get stuck in a loop and keep failing. In other cases, people get a C000-0099 error which means that the update detected that the console is flashed and it's flagged for a ban. That error is new: -

http://support.xbox.com/en-gb/pages/xbox-360/troubleshoot/update-xbox-360/system-update-help.aspx

If you get that error, you can flash your 360 back to stock, then update the dashboard, then reflash it, but it'll be flagged for a ban still.

The problem you've got is that if you flash back to stock, you can't update via the Bodycount disc as it's not an original, so you're stuck really. You need to buy the game (or another wave 13 game), flash back to stock, update from that original disc, then flash back to 1.91. I still have no explanation for why you're even being prompted to update in the first place if you're already on the latest dashboard though. Are you absolutely sure about that?

7. Modking30

Modking30 Regular member

ON a side note, it's never safe to play games early

8. funksoulb

funksoulb Regular member

If you're playing offline and don't connect to Live until after the game is out, it's no less safe than waiting until after the game is out before you play it. Unless you're connected to Live or you connect to Live before the game is out, the 360 has no idea what the date/time is, so MS don't know when you've played games.

9. Gnosis33

Gnosis33 Member

oh im certain about being on the new dash,
    this xbox has never been flashed before , it is an older arcade model with a Lite-on drive, the model that came with hdmi. anyhow what I'm not certain of is what firmware I currently possess. a friend of mine did it and he assured me it was LT+ 1.9.. hopefully it's LT+1.9.1. either way though should I try to connect the xbox to live and see what happens from there??

Steve

10. funksoulb

funksoulb Regular member

You could, but if you get prompted to update, what are you going to do? Really, you need to flash it back to stock before updating cos it means there's no risk of the update messing up or you getting that error I linked to. If you log into Live and there's no update, but Bodycount still wants you to update, then I don't know what's going on, but again, I wouldn't update a 360 dashboard without flashing back to stock first.

11. Gnosis33

Gnosis33 Member

alright thanks , will not update for now.
    Steve

12. JOHNSTARR

JOHNSTARR Regular member

Although it's always best to be current with FW this game does not scream "must be on 1.91" if their playing live on 1.9 atm??? Would I be correct saying this

13. Jamie3213

Jamie3213 Member

I had this problem when I first tried to play Crysis 2, every time I inserted the disc I was prompted to update my dashboard - which was already upto date. At the time I was using an external USB (2GB) for storage as my Xbox 360 is an Arcade Console. Anyway when I took the USB out and put the disc in, it ran fine with no update prompt. As soon as it booted I put the USB back in and everything was fine - however I had to do this everytime I played Crysis 2. I flashed to stock Liteon firmware a few weeks later, updated to the 31599 dash and then flashed to iXtreme LT+ 1.91 and it's never done it again since. Hope this can help a little.

14. AmigoEric

AmigoEric Member

I have a BenQ drive. I already had LT+ 1.91 and dashboard 13599, but Bodycount still said I needed an update. Without reflashing to stock, I just clicked yes to the update, the update did it's self-extracting thing, the console restarted, and I was able to play the game. No problems. That's my experience - no problems with the update if you already have 13599 and LT+ 1.91.

15. nikonman

nikonman Member

Actually you can just download the latest Dashboard update from MS and update the XBox 360 with a CD or DVD that you have burned the Dashboard update to AFTER flashing your XBox 360 back to stock firmware. You could also do it via USB as well. I haven't tried this yet but I did download it from MS and will be trying it shortly.

I also have a question. When you see that message about having to do an update before playing a game HOW do you know if it is a Dashboard update in which case I would think that you would have to flash back to stock and update via CD/DVD or USB and then install the latest firmware OR if it is some other type of update? What are the other types of updates? BTW, FYI, I NEVER go on-line with either of my XBox 360s.

Also, rumors persist that the drives will be flashed as part of an update on the very latest game discs. I don't see how that is possible because of the potential of XBox 360s being bricked when an update fails.

Thanks,
    nikonman

16. funksoulb

funksoulb Regular member

Dashboard updates are delivered either at the point where you try and sign into Live, or when you're offline and you try and boot a game that has a newer dashboard update on the disc.

Title updates for games are delivered when you try and boot a game while connected to Xbox Live as title updates are only delivered over Live.

So if you're offline and you see a message about updating when you boot a game, it's always a dashboard update.

If you're online, to even be signed into Live you have to have the latest dash, so if you try and boot a game while you're already connected to Live and you get an update prompt, it's a title update.

The only exception to the above is if a new dashboard happens to be rolled out as you're already signed into Live and you're in the middle of playing a game.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  17. nikonman

nikonman Member

Yet several times over the past couple of years I have seen the message when booting a new game, crossed my fingers and told it to proceed with the update and everything is fine and the game plays after the update. It is as you indicated a Dashboard update and it did not adversely affect the modified firmware. That surprises me after I read your answer above. The two very latest games to come out had the update message also. I told it to proceed for both games and both caused the System Error screen and a flashing lower right quadrant on the ring. That has never happened before. Yet, after I powered off the XBox and inserted an older game, in this case, Forza 3, it worked fine. I'm not sure that I understand what happened that caused the System Error screen nor do I understand why I was still able to play Forza 3 with the moddded firmware which was apparently unaffected.

Thanks,
    nikonman

18. funksoulb

funksoulb Regular member

In the past, when a new dashboard update came out, you would just check on forums to make sure it was safe and then update as normal.

The last couple of updates are different. They reflash certain drives to a new stock firmware. In some cases, when people with flashed drives tried to update they got an error saying that their console was modded and to unplug it from Xbox Live, while others got stuck in a permanent update loop and could no longer get to the dashboard (some people fixed that by flashing back to stock firmware, but even that didn't work for others).

So from this point on, it's highly advisable to do the following: -

1. Check on forums to see that the update is safe, cos I reckon the next dashboard update will have even more anti-piracy measures in it.

2. Flash back to stock before updating, otherwise there's a risk of your console being flagged or bricked.

3. Don't boot any AP2.5 games unless you're 100% sure that either the AP2.5 tables haven't been updated, or that your games have been patched with the latest AP2.5 data, as there is no longer protection in the firmware to stop your console from being flagged if you boot an unpatched, badly patched, or out of date patched AP2.5 game. Some of the big titles coming out soon are bound to be protected by AP2.5 too, so you have to be wary.

19. peluynati

peluynati Regular member

i'm not sure about your concern rather or not you have 1.9 or 1.91, 1.91 was only released as a patch for new ap2.5 checks, the firmware other than that is the same, oh yeah also you lost the protection of improper patching, other than that identical, do the update see what happens, at worse you will most likely need to have your box reflashed.

20. funksoulb

funksoulb Regular member

At worst, your 360 will be flagged or even bricked. Flash back to stock first.

A member called opt_prime on here bricked his 360 just by updating it without flashing back to stock first, and another member has just start a thread saying that their console is also stuck in an update loop: -

http://forums.afterdawn.com/t.cfm/f-152/madden_12_update_wont_work-908607/

Also, I have seen posts on usenet and various other forums where people's consoles were bricked just by updating without flashing back to stock. It doesn't mean it will happen to everyone, but why even take that risk?

I don't make this advice up! lol. Flash back to stock or risk a flag or brick.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011