1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[bold] Am I a Sony, Pinnacle, Dell, TDK, fool? [/bold]

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by asharpbgm, Feb 9, 2004.

1. asharpbgm

asharpbgm Member

[bold]Please, help me! Please! [/bold]

All I want to do is burn my own original digital-8 footage that I have recorded with a Sony digital 8 camcorder onto DVD's OF ANY KIND that can be played on stand alone players. These are original productions I have videotaped with a Sony TRV720 digital-8 camera.

Using a Sony GV-D200 digital 8 vcr for playback, I then transferred them onto a Western Digital firewire external 120 gig hard drive that is connected to my Dell Pentium 4, Windows XP computer via a Pinnacle studio Deluxe breakout box.

The video was captured and edited successfully with Pinnacle Studio 8 software installed on the C drive of my computer. And now, all I wish to do is burn, the ensuing project onto TDK DVD-R, DVD+, or DVD-RW blank disks inserted into a TDK internal dual mode DVD burner installed in my computer.

Nothing fancy. Not even chapters and menus. Just titles, video & a few transitions. I have been successful burning vcd's that then play on stand alone DVD players, or on the computer, but when I try to burn to DVD using the Pinnacle software, or the Roxio software, No success, either claims to be burning with no results, or resulting disk has sound out of synch with picture. Neither of which is the case when burning vcd.

I am not a techie, do not even understand most of these posts, but I am desperate to either know that this is possible with a minimum of hassles, or that my equipment, my mental capacity, or my logic is somehow defective. Have the vendors burned me? Despite all of the glowing reports on the glossy video magazine covers in Borders and Barnes & Noble, is there really no such thing as burning a DVD from original footage? Have I, all of this time. just been the victim of marketing and/or a cruel, technological, urban myth? What am I doing wrong? I have Adobe Premiere, but it is TOO hard to understand. Of course, with Windows XP I have Moviemaker, plus the updates, and I can afford about one more software before I give up and start copying to analog S-VHS with my ancient Mitsubishi U-80.

Can anyone out there please help a, perhaps overly ambitious, but innocent and well-meaning (if verbose) victim? This sucks!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2004
  2. boldent

boldent Guest

I use Studio 8 and have made many succesfull DVD's with menus and chapter points. So maybe I can help.

It sounds like you have Studio setup to burn vcd's and not DVD's. Give this a try.

When your ready to burn to DVD click on the "make movie" tab at the top of the screen. Then click on the "settings" button. Then click the "make mpeg file" tab. Click on the "presets" window and then click on "DVD compatiable". Or click on "customs" and change your "width and height" to 720x480 if these are going to be viewed on NTSC (american standard tv's) and change your "data rate" to no more than 8000kbits/sec. Also, make sure your audio is 48khz and not 44.1khz. Then click OK to close the window.

All you should have to do now is click on the make disk button. Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2004
  3. asharpbgm

asharpbgm Member

Thank you for your suggestion...I tried this. Followed your directions very carefully. Project seemed to render all the way to the end, then render all the way to the end over and over again. Never burned. DVD Blank.

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

The Problem Could be an Incompatibility with your Burner and the Burning Software...Wht don"t you try useing Studio 8 to Render you Project to a DVD Compliant Mpeg2 File useing the settings described by the Other Poster ,and then Use a seperate DVD authoring Program to Make the Chapters and Menu"s and Author them to DVD, If Studio fails to Make a DVD Compliant Mpeg2 file for you then Try to render your Project as a DV AVI file or some other Low Compression AVI format and then use a seperate Stanadlone encoder to encode the AVI file to Mpeg2 For DVD, and then you can use a DVD Authoring Program to Create the DVD out of that Mpeg2 file, For encodeing to Mpeg you can use something like "Tmpgenc" as it is Fairly easy to use and Produces Pretty Good Quality Mpeg2 files ,Much better than Studio 8 can...As For something to Author the Mpeg file to DVD A Simple One would be something like "Tmpgenc DVD Author" or a Lot better but a Little more complex like "DVD-Lab" , You can download Fully Functional 30 Day demo versions of these Programs on the Net...You can get Tmpgenc and Tmpgenc DVD author Here:
    http://download.pegasys-inc.com/download_files/TMPGEnc-2.521.58.169-Free.zip

And Here:
    http://download.pegasys-inc.com/download_files/TDA-1.5.20.62-install-EN.exe
    And you can get DVD-Lab on this site:
    http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/"

Good Luck