1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Books by topic on IRC

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by thorstef, Mar 28, 2004.

1. thorstef

thorstef Member

Please, can someone recommend any channel on IRC where I can find books(pdf) non fiction ? Have looked at #bookz already and found it sadly lacking on the particular topic I want. Some good tutorial links on using Mirc for downloading and what to do if they don't start will be excellent.
    Thanks

2. carefree

carefree Member

go to http://searchirc.com do a chanell search for books and it should give you list chanell you can try

3. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

IRC is great for everything man, but If i can make a recommendation, use Bit Torrent or eMule for non fiction books, there are many sites that list loads of books. If you mean educational PC books, ull find loads at suprnova!

4. thorstef

thorstef Member

Thanks for the help. In particular I mean NLP books, and there are probably only about 7 titles on emule. I have all of them. Did a search on www.packetnews.com which brought up 3 results.
    When I copy the link and paste it into mirc, it gives the message 'server not found'.
    Why is that?

5. thorstef

thorstef Member

Sorry, thats "Unable to resolve server" which means it doesn't exist, right?
    So how come the same thing happens with the link below?
    irc://albany.ny.us.galaxynet.org:6667/nlp

6. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

you say u paste it into mIRC????

Are you sure u just dont click the link? then mIRC should automatically connect to the server and channel!

7. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

yeah with your IRC client open go back to packetnews and click on the packet number of the pack you want. your IRC client will then open up and you should see a box asking you if you want to change servers, join channel on current server, or open a new connection. if you're not connected to anything already, you can use the top or bottom choice. if you are connected to a network already, use "open a new connection" and it should join the network and channel, and copy the syntax to your clipboard so all you gotta do is paste into the channel.
    you shopuldn't have to paste anything as far as the server goes. if anything use the network's domain to connect with like /server irc.galaxynet.org - just paste that in the status window and it should connect, then manually join the channel.