1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Booktype DVD-ROM option? What is it??

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by gaz_0001, Jan 22, 2004.

1. gaz_0001

gaz_0001 Regular member

I was using either shrink or DVD Decrypter, or maybe it was nero. Anyway, i seen the option to enable booktype DVD-ROM? What does this do, and when would i use it? From what i have pcked up off this site you can only use it with DVD+R and you would use it to make the disc more compatible with standalone DVD players, but i am really not too sure?

2. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

The book type is information written on the lead-in of the disk that tells your player what format of disk it is. Since +R/RW isn't actually part of the official DVD specification used for DVD-Video players, there are some standalones, particularly older ones, that won't play them just based on not recognizing the book type. By using bitsetting you are telling the player that it's a format it can read. In theory, this allows a DVD+R/RW disk to be played in any standalone. It's hard to say how true this is in practice, although it should allow most (maybe all) players that already play -R/RW to read them.

The other issue I've seen mentioned with this is that you may need to upgrade your firmware to do this and for some drives there's no way to do it at all right now. In reality, it shouldn't make much difference if you play your +R/RW disks exclusively in newer standalones.

You can find more detailed information here:
    http://www.dvdplusrw.org/Article.asp?mid=0&sid=2&aid=42
    and here:
    http://www.netfarer.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8

3. gaz_0001

gaz_0001 Regular member

I am going to stick to DVD-R, i see no reason why i will ever have to use a DVD+R!?

4. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

I haven't ever used anything besides -R and I replaced my -R drive with a dual format burner almost 9 months ago.