1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

**Booktype settings**

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by djkilla, Sep 19, 2004.

1. djkilla

djkilla Member

My interest has been peaked by mention of booktyping a DVD. I have a few questions which I hope can be answered.

1) Changing the booktype of a DVD±R to DVD-ROM makes it more compatable/playable in stand-alone DVD players, correct?

2) If I burned a PAL (region free) movie onto a DVD-R and changed the booktype to DVD-ROM will it play on all DVD players? (NOTE: Not all players will play the PAL format even though it's region free)

3) If I changed the booktype of a DVD+R to DVD-ROM, will it play on all DVD players.

Thanks in advance for answering my questions and if you have any suggestions, web links, etc. to help/guide me in understanding booktype settings I would be most appreciative!

-D j K i l l a-
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2004
  2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Last edited: Sep 19, 2004
  3. djkilla

djkilla Member

Thanks for the links! This helped in understanding how bitsetting works. I also just discovered that my Plextor PX-708A now has the bitsetting option with the latest firmware update (1.08) and the latest Plex Tools Professional (2.17) software.

-D j K i l l a-

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Glad to be of some assistance. From what I've read Plextor seems to be one of the better dvdrw drives. I started haveing some playback problems w/ ritek g04's but switched to ritek dvd+r's (ricohjpnr01) and been booktyping all my backups to dvd-rom and have had absolutely no problems since.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2004
  5. djkilla

djkilla Member

Thought I'd bump up this thread for others that may need help or more info on bitsetting.

-D j K i l l a-