1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Booktyping to DVD-ROM with Lite-on?

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by ammscray, May 8, 2007.

1. ammscray

ammscray Member

Hello I searched around and couldn't find the info I needed, so here goes:

I just bought the lite-on LH-20A1H DVD drive and I would like to know if there's any way to make it so I can booktype automatically to DVD-ROM, instead of using the lite-on tool, which you have to set each and everytime you burn, kind of a PITA

I use nero 6, and until my sony burner died, I was booktyping all day automatically with Verbatim DVD+R's but now that the new drive is installed, the booktyping option is no longer present in the nero window, and I found that this is because the nero 6 I'm using says it's only meant for the sony drive it came with (though I can burn with it no problem with the new lite-on drive, just can't change booktype)

I got a disc with nero 7 with the lite-on but I don't really want to install this because I have a really stable system with nero 6 and after recently tackling some severe computer problems, I just don't wanna take a chance by introducing something new here...

also I don't even know if there's a guarantee that the booktype option will re-appear

So I'm wondering how folks are getting around a problem like this with their lite-on drives

so far I think it's a great drive though I wish I could burn CD's slower than 16X

thanks in advance!

2. LABOY

LABOY Regular member

@ammscray

I have the LH-20A1P and I experienced the same problems with the Lite-On Booktype Utility V1.3.5. I couldn't get the utility to permanently set +R to booktype. I even tried all three firmware versions available for my model and still the utility did not kick in.

Here's how I solved my problem. I upgraded my firmware to a "patched" version found here:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=207033

Then when I set my Lite-On Booktype Utility V1.3.5 to book type +R disks to DVD-ROM and burnt the first disk with the utility active, it set permanently and I have been booktyping ever since.

Either I was doing something wrong with the official firmware or there is a problem with the official firmware and the booktyping utility. I think it is the latter. Anyhow, the patched firmware worked for me, for what it is worth.

Last edited: May 9, 2007
  3. ammscray

ammscray Member

hi thanks for your reply, just to be clear, did you just DL one of the patches from the list of "overburn and enhanced speed" patches that matched your model and it worked, or are there some other patches there I'm not seeing?

also, in the patch DL, there are three different ones for my version (LL07), fb, fb eos and eos, I'm sorry but I don't know what any of that means!

thanks again

4. LABOY

LABOY Regular member

From the site I listed in my previous reply, I downloaded the patch for my model. When you open up the patch, there are 3 patched firmwares to chose from: fb, eos, and fb eos. I chose the fb eos.
    To find out what fb (fastburn) and eos (expanded overspeed) means read the first section of the site I referenced.

Please note that patched firmware will void warranties.

If you don't like the patched version, you can re-flash with the original firmware.

When you use your lite on booktyping utility first put a +R disk in your drive, secondly change the +R to DVD-ROM, thirdly, press "change" and then finally minimixe the utility to your try. Then burn the disk. If it works right, then you will not need to do it any more....

Good luck!!!!

5. ammscray

ammscray Member

thanks I'll try it! One last question, how do you flash back to original firmware if it doesn't work? I don't know much about this obviously

6. LABOY

LABOY Regular member

Go to this site:

http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares.html

Scroll down toward the bottom until you find your model. You will see LL05, LL06, and LL07. The stock beside each means they are original lite-on firmware. Download all three. That way you can experiment on any of them to see which you like best.

However there is a later most current firmware that can be found on the official lite on web site. It is LLOA. All of these firmwares are executable programs and can be flashed and reflashed as you wish to change. Here is the Lite on official page.
    http://www.liteonit.com/global/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=154

Select "Optical storage" then scroll down to your model number and hit enter. The latest firmware is on the top of the list.

7. ammscray

ammscray Member

thanks so much for all your help!!

8. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

@ammscray & LABOY,

If you want you Liteys to auto-booktype, go back to the first link LABOY stated, http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=207033 , at near the top of the first page you will see the bolded Note:.

Got to #2 and download the test SmartBurn (the "test SmartBurn" is the link). Save this to your computer.

When you run this utility, it will allow you to permanently (until you change it again) set the booktyping of +R media PLUS it alows to to enable Online Hypertuning and OverSpeed Buning on most newer Litey drives. The Online Hypertuning can improve your burns.