1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boosting Torrent Downloads

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by bishop101, May 12, 2007.

1. bishop101

bishop101 Member

I'v read almost every guide here on hot boost your speeds but I cant get past 25'kb, even when connected to 10+ seeds, and internet cable. Can anybody help me. I dont have a router and I tried turing off my cp, and norton firewalls, and I checked on some websites to see if the port I was using was open and it was, but its still slow. im using bitlord by the way. Thanks

2. Ca$h

Ca$h Regular member

I remember when I first started using torrents... I had my upload speed limited to like 3 kb/s. It limited my download speed to like no more than 25 kb/s...

That was before I knew the importance of seeding...

So do you have your upload speed limited to an extreme like I had?

3. BluRay

BluRay Regular member

Hmmm. Might be a bad torrent, maybe just a guess ;-) so I need you to try this out for me and tell me the results go to this website OpenOffice.org and download one of there torrents, run the torrent for a moderate amount of time, prefebably half an hour, and tell me what speed you managed to obtain. Do not worry about there being only 10-12 seeds on this torrent, just run it.
    Tell me what speed you got! oh and limit your upload to like only 80% of your max on this torrent.

If you mangaed good speeds on that torrent then there is nothing wrong (I think)

Oh and one more thing, before I go to bed, torrents can take up to 40 minutes (30 usually) to reach good speeds, do not do what I used to do, and check it every second. Let it go on for some time.

:)

Remember tell me what kind of speed you got, and what kind of speed you are supposed to get. And one more thing, sorry about this, check that your ISP is NOT listed here

BR.

PS: I am sleepy so I might have missed this in your post, forgive me if I have, but what client are you using?

Last edited: May 12, 2007
  4. bishop101

bishop101 Member

Im using rogers, I'm in canada and its onthat list, I;m dl the torrent you told me too, Ill update you.

5. bishop101

bishop101 Member

I guesse theres nothing wrong because the torrents downloading at +200Kb. Thanks for the help guys.

6. BluRay

BluRay Regular member

No problem helping you.

You downloading at that speed just shows that there seems to be nothing wrong.

You see what it is with regular torrents you get off everyday public torrent websites, is that there are a lot of downloaders or sometimes too few seeders, and sometimes a combination of both, and so it is fairly common to get low speeds on torrents, but to combat this and get a speed to as high as it possibly can you would limit your upload speed, now it is recommended to limit it to 80% of its maximum.
    Sometimes some torrents require more upload speeds than others to speed up, and sometimes torrents require very little upload speed, it all depends on the type and number of peers.

Unless if you KNOW and feel there is something wrong, don't worry about why the torrents are slow, the best thing you can do for these torrents is seed as much as possible once you have the file.

7. acewing

acewing Member

can you tell me the importance of seeding?

8. BluRay

BluRay Regular member

Here is the importance of everyone, even the original uploader, NOT seeding;

Stuck at the 0.01% for the rest of your life.