1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

boot disk

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Nrth16, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Nrth16

Nrth16 Regular member

Hey everyone I got a problem that i cannot figure out.

I got a very old computer that my family work was throwing away so my mom got it for me to play around with. only problem is that when i turn it on it tells me i need a boot disk. I am trying to find a windows 95 or 98 boot disk. floppy. I tried to do it with a cd rom, but i cannot change the sequence on the computer to get the floppy to format it does anyone know where i can make a windows 95/98 boot floppy or get one or whatever need help thanks

2. gtjr_ph

gtjr_ph Regular member

goto bios and set the first boot device to hdd, if your win os is corrupted you have to install it back
    [​IMG]

3. Nrth16

Nrth16 Regular member

I am unable to modify anything?

4. Nrth16

Nrth16 Regular member

as the computer starts up, if i leave it go it asks me for a boot up disk. I have a 98 cd rom that would work but i cannot switch the sequence. so then i restart the computer and then before it does that on the bottom it says push delete to go into setup mode. so i did that and then i can see all the bios and all that junk but when i go to sequence and so on to change it from A,C,sci... it says to press the f1 key for help but there are no other options just that one. then i saw something that siad to push pu/pd +- to modify. well nothing will modify for me?

not sure what the company did when they tried to erase the whole computer but they messed it up a little? thanks for the help i am looking for something that will??

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

6. Nrth16

Nrth16 Regular member

I finally got it going I did use boot disk and made a floppy but that did not do it for me. so then I went back into the setting page and fingured out that I had to use the plus and minus buttons on the number pad on the right of the key board (I am so used to a labtop I just thought I could use the + or - key at the top.) but anyway I switch the sequence so it would load from the cd-rom. well I got a version of 98 on it and working however when i start and restart it something comes up saying:

" cannot find a decive file that may be needed to run windows or a windows application.

the windows regisrty or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device file, but the device file no longer exists.

if you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated application using its uninstall or setup program.

if you still want to use the application accociated with this device file, try reinstalling that application to replace the miss file.

vnetbios.vxd
    press any key to continue"

this is what it says, I have no clue what that means so i clicked any button and then a add new hardware wizard pops up asking for drives which i dont have so it askes me to search for them (dont i have to be connected to the internet for that???) but anyway if anyone can help me out so that does not pop up anymore when i start and restart the computer i will be all set.

thanks again to everyone in afterdawn for the help

7. ddp

vnetbios.vxd has to do with your network card setup. what network card is in the computer as in d-link, 3com or what?

8. Nrth16

Nrth16 Regular member

where can i find that information?

9. ddp

is the netcard built into motherboard or in a slot?

10. Nrth16

Nrth16 Regular member

so would i find that in my computers properties? or the card that was installed to the hard drive.

I looked on the back of the flat tower and it has a yellow light that says 100 then a green light that says link/act and i believe it is a linksys card but not for sure ( would this be a ethernet card?)

is this the information your are looking for to be able to help me?

11. Nrth16

Nrth16 Regular member

I also looked and it has the dial up phone cord post so i think the card that i was telling you about was an upgrade. this computer was given to me. so i am not really sure about some things all i know is that i could not get this thing to run right but since i was able to add 98 it now runs but as i said this thing pops up every time i start it. also i do have some yellow exclamation points highlighted in the device manager:

pci vga compaticble display adaptor

als100 media audio control

pci ethernet contrller

and advanced power support

i would assume i am missing drivers for all of these or something like that?

12. ddp

linksys(?) card is your net card. does it show up in device manager under network adapters?

13. Nrth16

Nrth16 Regular member

i have a bunch of yellow exclamation points highlighted i added to my last thread

14. ddp

advanced power support - don't worry about it.
    als100 is your sound card
    will have to open your computer to see who makes the pci videocard & the ethernet card & the model numbers of them.

15. Nrth16

Nrth16 Regular member

I think i found the pci number?

it was a chip that seemed to be on the bottom of the mother board and it says:

Intel PCIset
    s882371sb
    L7141705
    SU093
    Intel 95

I am not sure if this is the chip that you are looking for or if it is on a specific board but i am unsure which board it would be. also I did send you a private message about the ethernet board and number. let me know if you recieved it. thanks again for all your help

16. ddp

17. Nrth16

Nrth16 Regular member

Thanks for the ethernet drivers

as for the mother board i cannot find where to locate the model number or name. the computers name: brookfield 586 computers

there is a sticker on the mother board that says:
    award softwear inc.
    all rights reserved
    pci/pnp 586

let me know if that helps.

also in order to install the drivers for the ether net I take it i have to connect to the internet with that computer or can i copy them to a disk or cd rom and then transfer them to the old computer

thanks again for everything!!!

18. ddp

probably have to be on cd. make & model# will be printed on the motherboard itself not on a chip. might say asus, intel or something like that.

19. Nrth16

Nrth16 Regular member

could this be it?

Intel pci/set
    s882371sb
    L7141705
    SU093
    Intel 95

20. ddp

nope. usually printed white on the motherboard. look for a chip about 2.5cm square that might say trident, ati or something like that.