1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boot Xbox 360 games from an external hard drive

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by potential, Mar 2, 2007.

1. potential

potential Member

Ok.

I know someone in another state, we basically have a clan together.
    One day we were talkin, and we were talkin about bootleg games. I told them that I never did bootleg or anything like that, but I did use to backup my games and play them on my ps2.

Then people started talkin about backups on xbox, and my sentiment was that I wouldn't do it because I'm afraid of getting banned. Then my friend is like

"Well I dun care, I do it anyways, actually, I have a friend who does computers for a living, extremely sick, he actually set up my xbox 360 so it has a display panel, and it doesn't even look like a 360 anymore, it looks like a computer. When I want to go play a game, all of the games are in a hard drive and he set it up so I just pick a game from the touch lcd and it boots right up".

And I was totally impressed, I wanted him to contact his friend for me but he told me that he gave his friend money and he did it because they were boys, but I did walk away impressed.

I could care less about that touch screen crap, but not having to carry around disks and booting the game from the hard drive seems like a dream. And I know it's possible because there is something called daemon tools that lets you mount files to the drive on a computer, so I just was wondering what you guys think about this, is it possible, wondering if you could point me in the right direction.

2. Dindi304

Dindi304 Guest

Id love to see a pic of this dream system and hard drive booting. I mod my xbox 360's and i havnt been able to boot from a hdd. So maybe your friend knows something none of us do.

3. potential

potential Member

Listen. I know it's hard to believe this story, but I know it's true because I saw him xbox live vision it. I mean, even before Windows was run on a mac, some people claim that that was done before, and I know I have heard reports that some people can get osx to run on a mac.

I mean, just think about it.

When I talked to the guy (his friend did it, he just has the system) he said that his friend said that you just have to know the keys, he said something like that. You just have to know the code, and it makes sense. Like I said, think of the software daemon tools.

And also, he said that it isn't even an xbox no more, it has like a touch panel, I mean this guy completely reconfigured the thing so you have to put it in that context, my friend is like the type of guy who doesn't give a ____ and just says whatever, I mean I saw this thing, He also said that it could be taken mobile, the lcd used for gaming because it has a power source built into it. As long as there is not much shock he said he could take it mobile for like an hour or 2.
    Like he said if he was playing and needed to go to the bathroom, he said sometimes if he knew he was going to be in there for long (like I said, he says whatever), he bring it with him so he can play there. I mean, I KNOW it's possible, but that's probably advanced advanced ADVANCED stuff.

I mean, you could boot from ps2, and I see on engadget all the time systems being made handheld, so this definitely isn't farfetched.

4. potential

potential Member

The reason I have problems finding info on this, is because whenenver I mention hard drive in a search or something, it automatically assumes that I am talking about the built in xbox hard drive, which would be almost impossible to boot the game from there.

5. emachine

emachine Guest

I think your friend has a xbox not a 360. and you can boot of a internal xb hard drive btw.

6. Dindi304

Dindi304 Guest

I second his thought xbox makes since, your friend knowing something the whole xbox 360 community doesnt doesnt =) .

7. steimy

steimy Active member

possible yes, but i figure someone would be posting about it by now if you could. Playing games on a 360 from either the 20GB hard drive, or a USB hard drive would be huge. I know you can hook an external USB hard drive to a 360 to play media, but i have never seen anything about games.

a regular Xbox on the other hand it is common, i have a 300GB internal HDD in mine that plays all my games just fine, and 3 hacked dashboards that would explain "it doesn't even look like a 360 anymore"

i would like confirmation that this is a 360 we are talking about. If his system is so over the top tell him to post some pictures of it so the world can see.

8. rayray13

rayray13 Guest

DUUDE all u need is a transfer kit or xport or xsata

9. 5c4ry_0p

5c4ry_0p Member

Or his friend had the Xbox360 skin for xbox media center set up to "look" like a 360 perhaps...

10. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

rayray you dont know what your talking about, if you can put a game iso on your hard drive and boot it up, then by all means why isnt there anything online about it? im sure it is possible but no one has figured it out yet

11. zero129

zero129 Member

Yeah i go with what some other people said already.
    I bet him or his friend is getting mixed up with Xbox and Xbox360.
    As atm the is no way to boot games of a hdd with the xbox 360.
    But the is with Xbox 1, so that is most likely what your friend is using.

12. potential

potential Member

No because while we were playing Rainbow Six: Vegas and he showed me it running off that system, like I said, I am not trying to prove anything or get over on anyone, and I pretty much completely trust him, he didn't even tell me the whole thing till I pressed him about it, he said his friend is like the best of the best and just got "keys", trust me I MYSELF want to know how the hell he did it. And even if it was possible, I'm thinking the kid did hardcore modifications on the box, like I said he told me it doesn't even look like an Xbox 360 anymore.

I basically posted this to ask if anybody knew more about it so I could set something like this up. His set-up is sick. He says he basically just picks whatever game he wants and presses it using touch screen, and when he wants to play another game he uses touch screen, he didn't say anything about controlling that aspect with remote control.

Well, like I said, just seeing what people think about this.

13. GCFANATIC

GCFANATIC Member

1.this would be fantastic
    2.it has not happened yet
    3.it will happen when hackers crack the code
    4.this has not happened yet
    5.check on xboxscene and you will discover that hypervisor vulnerability is in progress right now and that hackers are working well into the night.
    6.you are either telling us untruthful information or your friend is tricking you.
    7.post the pictures and a video as true evidence on youtube then send us the link.

14. acid5214

acid5214 Guest

Lol it'll be the best when the back up through HD comes out. No more screwing around with the DVD drive or getting weak lasers anymore. Plus probably don't need to back up your game. Just rip your original and there you go!

15. Dindi304

Dindi304 Guest

No guys potential is right his friend is a super mega hacker that knows how to mod 360's better than anyone. I mean think about it booting from a hard drive isnt that hard when ur a super dooper hacker. lol n e ways...... maybe in the near future something like that can happen and when it does im sure it will be all over the web

16. potential

potential Member

lol it's funny, I am not trying to boast, like I have said before, a lot of people crack things before they are cracked publically, they just don't wish to be like Viodentia and be apart of the phenomenon and such. I heard about people running OSX on Windows wayy before that whole parallels thing started. I know people who were into that type of thing.

Like I said, I myself want to know how to do it, I was hoping that you guys would know, NOT flame me, and I also am aware that AfterDawn has a no flaming policy, so I'm going to report all the people that were a-hos to me.

But seriously. This can be done. I just wish I knew how to do it.

17. GCFANATIC

GCFANATIC Member

like i said lets see your mates setup on youtube send the link.

18. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

ill believe it when i see it

19. playhalo2

playhalo2 Member

OSX can be run on windows i seen my uncle do it on his comp it was pretty sweet

Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  20. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

lol but why would you want to do that? mac sucks :)