1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bootable Window XP Setup Disk won't work

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by whoru, Aug 16, 2007.

1. whoru

whoru Member

I create a boot disk with the instruction on this web page below

http://www.howtohaven.com/system/createwindowssetupdisk.shtml

everything is work fine but when I try to activate Window XP online, it keep saying incorrect product key.
    Please note that I used the actual product key that come with my computer. Any suggestion on how to get this to work. Thanx in advanced.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

are you using the exact same version of windows as the key is for?

3. jordangsu

jordangsu Member

interesting article, but he mentions that you shouldnt have to specify the label for your specific install type.

"5. Click the "Labels" tab on the right side of the screen. Change the label in the ISO9660 field to one of the following, depending on what type of bootable setup CD you're making."
    "This step is probably optional if you can't be bothered. I seem to recall having entered a wrong label in the past without having the Windows installer fail on me."

I think this actually does make a difference on what product key will activate it. If you skipped this step or set the wrong value then this is probably your problem. My guess is it needs to be set to the originally installed configuration.

of course this is assuming you are trying to put it back on the original computer, not another computer. If you are trying to install this on another computer I dont think you will get it to work

In the future I'd recommend a disk/partition cloning tool instead of trying to reinstall. (clonezilla)