1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

booting from an external harddisk with a different o.s.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by myk291, Jul 15, 2007.

1. myk291

myk291 Member

i have a notebook running on a windows vista home basic o.s. i'm planning to have another o.s. other than vista due to software incompatibilities. is it possible to boot my notebook using an external harddisk with a different o.s. instead of partitioning my notebook's harddisk? thanks in advance guys!

2. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

My guess would be that you could.... Just install the OS on the external HDD and then plug it in to you laptop, enter the BIOS and choose the external HDD as the default.

There are probably better ways out there, but I guess you'll just have to wait.

Also if you want to switch back to vista then you have to go back into the BIOS and select that as your default.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Depends which OS it is, if it's Windows it's very difficult. I like to think that me and my mate Nick are highly competent with computers, but we couldn't figure out how to get Vista working that way. XP is supposed to be similarly difficult.