1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bootloader Idea!!

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by bopran, Jun 4, 2007.

1. bopran

bopran Guest

Well I think that there is a possibilty to make a boot loader via a downloaded game.
    If you back up system onto a SD card or USB Pen drive and say you have only one game downloaded e.g GT HD and a save file for it, and no music video or pictures.
    You can veiw these files on a PC. They are 2 .dat files.
    Maybe these are encrypted i dont know. But if not then maybe there is a way to manipulate these files to create a bootloader, then restore the backup to the PS3.
    And run the boot loader from the Game menu.

Just an Idea, any thoughts???

2. reloadSE

reloadSE Regular member

yeah this is a good idea i suppose but you need a new "Dark_Alex" for PS3 LOL (or nooz team C+D)

3. glenquag

glenquag Regular member

Last edited: Jun 5, 2007
  4. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

The problem is creating the bootloader itself,and it is the way everybody is thinking.You could make a bootdisc that reads backed up discs,not from the harddrive.If you think about it,what exactly would you gain by putting Blu-Ray images on your harddrive.Here are reasons why I would dislike a bootloader that emulates images from the harddrive:

1.)You will have issues with firmware,which means whatever firmware runs off the system would be the only firmware you could use.Unless you reprogram the bootloader to work with higher firmware revisions.Think about it this way,we don't have to use psp hacking techniques.The PS3 uses media that will be widespread,so eventually you will be able to buy and backup using Blu-Ray media.

2.)Storage space is going to be an issue,no matter how much space you have there will always be people that will want more.By using media instead of the harddrive you have an endless supply of space and it will be cheaper.

You all know that the otheros option is available right,and you don't have to come up with another way of launching a program off the PS3.In fact you don't even need Linux to program for the PS3.If you look at the self made demo that was released awhile ago you should have enough knowledge to get you started.

That would be nice reloadse,but they work on psp not PS3 which are completely different.Here is some advice for everyone,we need to stop thinking psp and start thinking simple methods that work.The psp had to use an emulation technique,because everyone couldn't get their hands on recordable umd media.The PS3 uses Blu-Ray which means it will be available for everyone,as it is disc media and there have been burners out for it for quite some time now.The PS3 has a strong encryption level with the files it produces,and if you look at a firmware update using a hex editor you will see what I mean.The .pkg files stored in the firmware are strong,and it wouldn't be an easy task to just extract it.You do need to extract the files first before you can even produce anything such as a bootloader,but I guess eventually someone will figure out the encrytpion.If I was a strong programmer I could have produced something by now.If you want to you could study the demo also,which is what I did not that long ago.The self made demo used gzip compression at -9 and was a compiled binary file using a GNU compiler.I'm just trying to direct you all in the right direction,because it seems like some of you don't really see what we have already.Trust me ignore harddrive loading for right now,because it is only making it more complicated.Focus on a simple method that works,which has already been proven to work on all Sony's game systems.If you look at every single system Sony has produced,you will find someone has hacked it by using a boot disc.By using a boot disc you can use any firmware upgrade and it would be more effecient if you ask me.It isn't cheap at the moment,but give it a year or so,and I bet you all it will be as cheap as dvd media.

5. reloadSE

reloadSE Regular member

Ahh i'd be pretty dumb if i didn't know they were diffirent i mean look at the size of the ps3 and weight compared to the psp DUHHHH LOL o u mean in firmware and stuff well ahh well its not like you could make something for the mac and it works straight off on a pc you know (without emulation and stuff)

6. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

I'm not trying to use psp hacks on the ps3 or even thinking about it.The majority of people on here think the PS3 will be hacked like the psp.If the the only difference you see from them both is firmware,then you need to compare them again.They both use a different compression scheme for the firmwares.The media they both use are completely different,and not to mention the boot sequence is different as well.All the hardware inside the psp and ps3 are different,and the only thing that looks like it can be compared to is the hypervisor.You do know that is different also,but you get the point right.I can keep going if you want me to,but you should look at differences between them both if you want to use a psp hack method on the ps3.