1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Botched Wiikey Install "please help"

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by nhlman72, Apr 29, 2007.

1. nhlman72

nhlman72 Member

I tried to install my Wiikey today which is much tougher to install than I thought, the contact points are very small and close together. I tried the wire method, and I installed about three wires on the DVD drive board, and all of sudden they fell off taking the drives contacts off with it. I put it back together and thank god, it does work. My question is, is there a way to still install the Wiikey or do I have to get a new Wii?. Also, if I do have to buy a new one is the chipset going to be supported on a Wii bought today(supposing I could find one). Nintendo hasn't gone with another new chipset yet have they?

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  2. ghostboy6

ghostboy6 Regular member

use the alternate solder points.. it will be harder though

3. backyboy

backyboy Member

Throw away the wire you are using and get some 30AWG wire, this is thin and flexable (wont rip the pads off the board). You will ten need to trace the old burnt out solder points back to the chip. I found it easier to use a high def pic from the web. Solder the cables to the wiikey first and tape it to the drive board. Measure the cables to the chip, cut, strip and TIN them. Use a 18w ish soldering iron, whilst holding the tinned end of the cable on the leg of the chip just touch it with the soldering iron.
    Easy (not), if not search the web and send it to a man who can

4. nhlman72

nhlman72 Member

I took it to professional electronics shop today and they fixed and my Wiikey is working fine. The only thing is all my backups play except Paper Mario, my original Paper mario plays though, any ideas?. I tried to reburn and I did it on the same media as my other backups. Anyways, Thanks for the help guys.