1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Both data and DVD on a single DVD R disc

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by onestaryx, Mar 25, 2005.

1. onestaryx

onestaryx Member

is it possible to burn a DVD that can play my film on any the DVD player and store data files that i can read on my computer, all on a single DVD R?

What programs should I consider?

Can normal Liteon DVD R/R+W to do the job?

Thanks so much. I am really new with the DVD stuff.

2. thugs121

thugs121 Regular member

Not all backed-up movies can be played on every stand alone dvd player. A huge factor that causes incompatibility is the quality of the dvd-r disc you plan to use. Do a search on the site to see which brand names has the most success in playing in most dvd players. Some brand names to consider: Verbatim, Fuji, Sony, etc. Avoid Memorex discs, as they will not last long and have a crap load of problems... DVD-R provides more compatibility than its counterpart, DVD+R, but it can still play, but the percentage is not as high.

You bet! But make sure you have the latest firmware and make sure your DMA is on.

To burn a back-up/store data on a dvd, use Nero. This proggy is one of the best, but is not free. If you burnt the movie as a data file, the dvd player will not read it. Make sure you burn it as a dvd compliant so the player can read it correctly.

Go to this site on your concerns about backing-up movies.

http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/

DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter are both free!

Blank dvd-r discs store up to 4.36 GBs. When you read the labels, it will say "4.7 GB". This is wrong because the companies use a different mathematical formula in coming up with that answer. Computers will read the disc as 4.36 GB. You can store up to 4.36 gb of data on a disc, and about 8.5 GB on a dual layer disc (double-sided), but these are expensive.

If you have any other concerns, use the search function at the top of the site.

Good luck!