1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bought 2 PS3 consoles with missing blu-ray drives. Can I replace the drives without the boards?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by fryman, Jul 8, 2013.

1. fryman

fryman Newbie

I recently bought 2 PS3 consoles with the YLOD problem.
    One is a CECHG01 CF204 and the other is a CECHA01(not sure what the serial number is since the previous owner removed the sticker). I purchased these consoles from a thrift store for $20 each and was told of the YLOD issues before purchasing them. I was also told that the blu-ray drives had been removed from each of them. There are stickers on them indicating that they were previously at some sort of repair shop so I'm guessing the shop didn't know how to repair them so they bought them from the owners cheap, removed the blu-ray drives and got rid of the consoles. I reflowed the CECHG01 and it seems to be working fine now, the only problem is that I tried to update it and the update won't finish without the drive installed so it's stuck in a loop. I would like to replace the drives in both of them so here's my question:

Can I purchase blu-ray drives with their boards and get them to work with these consoles? If so which drives and drive boards are compatible with these systems and how do I get them to marry to these consoles?

Any advice would be appreciated, I don't know much about PS3 consoles, only how to reflow them.

2. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

No, you can't (you'd need to be on custom firmware to remarry driveboard and mainboard, which means official firmware 3.55 or below) and I think you got ripped off. A PS3 without drive is worthless.

3. coorva

coorva Regular member

yea you will have to downgrade them find drives and remarry them,,only way,,then again if you can install CFW,,you can run some games off the harddrive without the bluray drive,,