1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bought a new PSP, questions about custom firmware....

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by BLiND123, Jul 16, 2007.

1. BLiND123

BLiND123 Member

Hey, my cousins just bought a new PSP last week at BestBuy with firmware 2.60 and they were wondering if they could get like emulators and homebrew applications on it while keeping all the new features of official firmware. So by what I have read it seems that the best custom firmware would be 3.40 OE-A or maybe the new 3.51 M33. So I was wondering how risky it would be to put one of these custom firmware on their PSP? And if it were to screw up would they be able to return it like that? Would they notice at BestBuy that they tried custom firmware? Or if it did work but they then decided to put official firmware on it, would it be possible?

With all this stuff I have been reading about, I am also thinking of buying a used one to try this stuff on for myself :).

2. CKhaleel

CKhaleel Regular member

Upgrade to 2.80, then downgrade to 1.5, then upgrade to 3.51 M33.

3. BLiND123

BLiND123 Member

Last time they were over here at my place when the PSP connected to my wireless it said that updates were available (does that update all the way to the newest official 3.51? Or is that going to download one by one each time I turn it on until I get to 2.80?) but at the time they did not have a memory card (they do now). So I wanted to make sure, if they were to go and try to put custom firmware, do I just download the one it says on the PSP when I get the message. Or am I supposed to find firmware 2.80 online somewhere?

Edit: Do I really need to upgrade to 2.80 before going to 1.50 then to 3.40 OE-A or 3.51 M33? I just found this http://www.psp-hacks.com/file/598 would that work to get it to 1.50 to then upgrade to the custom firmware?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  4. glenquag

glenquag Regular member

5. BLiND123

BLiND123 Member

Hey, which one of the two custom firmware do you guys think has less problems and works with more of the homebrew applications like emulators and other things? ISO and UMDs should work on either one, right?

6. dEEz_nUtz

dEEz_nUtz Regular member

well between 3.40OE, and the new 3.51M33..My money is on 3.40OE..That new firmware is pretty buggy still...

7. Arcanaut

Arcanaut Member

Ya as deez says, every1 thats been with cfw's for a while knows that the best bet is 3.40oea and not the 3.51M33 since its got quite a few bugs in it still. all my homebrew\iso's work great on it (cept pspradio due to my wireless router's setting) and is the best cfw right now

8. BLiND123

BLiND123 Member

Thanks a lot for the info. I will check with my cousins later to see if they decide to try this. I hope I can find a cheap PSP somewhere for myself, a lot of these homebrew applications sound nice.