1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bought core system, media player help needed.

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by wontonjai, Apr 25, 2007.

1. wontonjai

wontonjai Member

I recently had a chance to buy an used X-Box 360 Core System for $100 so I scooped it up. I don't know much about the media capabilities of this system but I'm wondering if it's possible to do a few things:

1. Able to connect a hard drive in an external enclosure through USB or a 2.5" drive through the 20gb dock on top of the console?

2. Able to playback Divx/Xvid videos without streaming or TVersity software. Will a modchip or a softmod allow codecs to be installed on the console to playback Divx/Xvid videos from the hard drive or a DVD?

I've done a little research and answer seems to be no to both. I'm pretty sure everyone's going to tell me the same, though it doesn't hurt to ask. Plus, for $100 the console is too hard to pass up.

Thanks,
    Jason

2. 98sohc

98sohc Regular member

yes you can connect a external hdd, but to play divx without media player or other software that is a no. however, if you convert your favorite movies to .wma files i am pretty sure you can play those off external hdd. 360 cannot read divx without streaming or other software.