1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bought double sided instead of dual layer...help

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by buckley28, Oct 19, 2004.

1. buckley28

buckley28 Member

I just wanted to continue my questions to you guys and answer back some of the questions you gave to me regarding my latest post (got to get this new thread going for myself because the other closed). I will recap for you to refresh your memories:

I had the Dell with the 16x DVD+RW burner.
    1)BIGORANGE
    you said that without knowing what the type of burner it was you couldnt really comment to much. Well heres the specs "NEC DVD+RW ND-3100AD". The media I was (hoping) to use are the "BLANK 9.4GB HIGH QUALITY 1X/2X/4X DOUBLE SIDED DVD-R" which were baught from eBay. Now the problem is in no way not even in Decrypter or Windows Media Player does the disc show up in the drive; ie: like discs do when they are bad. I mean none of them work at all. I have put in DVD+/-R/RW discs before and they show up but not these. Now can you help?
    2)SCUBAPETE
    Since I beleive that I do in fact have "flipper discs" and have no clue if my drive supports this your guess is as good as mine. But can you explain any of the above to help out.

Basically what the hell do I need to do to get these discs to work or do I need to just sac up and buy new discs and have two discs support one film? Or do they make a double sided DVD+RW if these wont work?

And if your answer is NO these discs that I just baught (double sided DVD-R) wont work, does anyone else wnat em for a discount price...lol? Thanks guys.

2. buckley28

buckley28 Member

One last thing: According to Dell the "NEC DVD+RW ND-3100AD" drive I have supports "dual layered" type media. So do they sell the "dual layered" cd's for whatever format you tell me I need? And where so I can buy some. Thanks again guys.

3. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

edited thread title as 'ScubaPete & BigOrange' is not cool to use as a title (for future reference)

You can still use the DVDRs you've bought , altho if they are particularly poor media you might just want to use them for data back up. But if they have a decent enough dye you are able to put a different movie on each side.
    But if the disc(s) dont even show up in DVD Decrypter , so as to read disc info (ie; code) then sounds like they are terrible media :(

Do a search on media brand or whatever info you are able to supply ...

4. brobear

brobear Guest

With blank media nothing is going to show up in Decrypter unless you're using Decrypter as a burner. Then the files have to be ripped into an ISO file for Decrypter to recognize the file to burn to the disc.

Also, what are the size of the files you want to burn to the discs. The file size and if the media is encrypted determines the programs you use. With the "flippers" (dual sided discs) you have, look at them as two 4.7 discs glued together. In effect, it is like having 2 separate discs, because that is the way you have to record them.

Since your burner supports dual layer, that is the way to go if you're wanting to burn large files without compression. The cost is sort of prohibitive until they get it down. Most of us are using transcoding programs and putting the re-encoded videos on the smaller DVD 5 media.

You can use the free DVDInfoPro tool to check the media you have to see if it's worth using. Next time I would suggest getting quality media, either the DVD 5 or the DVD 9 dual layer; unless you just like the flipper type media. Factory flippers usually have a widescreen version of a movie on one side and a full screen on the flip side. Another use is for really long movies and they put part of the movie on each side. Some apps will still split movies, but with the flippers, you're still recording each side separately.

So there is no mystery, if your drive supports using a 4.7 DVD 5 is will support a "flipper". You just have to flip it over and record the other side; the same as inserting a second 4.7 DVD.

5. buckley28

buckley28 Member

That still not answering my question of why the discs dont even show up in the drive. I have 100 double sided discs of the format mentioned above. Are both of you telling me that all 100 are bad? Not trying to be rude but I have a hard time with that one. I'm leaning more towards my drive will not recognize media formats that arnt DVD+RW. If thats correct it still does not explain how the drive pics up your standard CD+/-/R/RW media discs. Which I can burn audio/data files to no problem.
    Scuba or BigOrange if you gyus get this thread please look up top as well as in this post. Thanks.

6. herbsman

[bold]Are both of you telling me that all 100 are bad? Not trying to be rude but I have a hard time with that one. I'm leaning more towards my drive will not recognize media formats that arnt DVD+RW. If thats correct it still does not explain how the drive pics up your standard CD+/-/R/RW media discs. Which I can burn audio/data files to no problem.
    [/bold]
    Well no-one said you wouldn't be able to use (although you've given us little info to actually go on). I just did a search on www.dvdrhelp.com for NEC-3500 & apparently everyone else out there is burning okay on -R media so that puts that theory of being +R only out of the window.

Have you even tried making an ISO image of 4.36Gb or less onto one side of these discs you mention ??

7. herbsman

Forgot to say , CD's and DVD's are two different things ... that's why you have a problem w/ one but not the other. So using that comparison is completely non-sensical :|

Last edited: Oct 20, 2004
  8. brobear

brobear Guest

Did DVDInfoPro check one of these disks or did you even take time to install the program and do the check? If you want to check with Scuba and BigO, send them a PM. I doubt you'll get much different info than herbsman and I gave you. As I said, a flipper is nothing more than 2 recording surfaces on one disc. The analogy of two 4.7 discs is apt. You treat them and test them just as you would a single sided 4.7. You just have a side a and a side b. I don't know what the mystery is. If the lead in on the discs is faulty, then a PC may not recognize it being there; one possibility. If your PC won't pick them up at all then you have a problem with these particualar discs. Are you unable to do a recording on one of these discs or run it through DVDInfoPro or Nero's media test? Have you even tried putting one in another PC?

BTW a computer is not going to recognize a blank disk unless you use and appropriate program, like DVDInfoPro to check it out or a recording program to record to it. My PC sometimes asks if I want to open the appropriate program, but I get the same results with an empty drive or a blank disc when I just click on a drive. Does the lights on your disc drive flash when you put in a disc? Have you even tried recording one of the flippers yet?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][bold]'brobear'[/bold]

[​IMG]

I was an earth-rim walker, a lurker at the threshold of the abyss. - Grendel -

[bold]Et tu, Brute![/bold][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2004
  9. Wcombs9

Wcombs9 Member

does anyone know where to get good priced Dual-Layer DVDs??

10. brobear

brobear Guest

11. Wcombs9

Wcombs9 Member

BROBEAR--thank you for the reply!

12. brobear

brobear Guest

You're welcome.