1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bought new batch of Verbatim - They dont work !?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by tbone1980, Apr 16, 2005.

1. tbone1980

tbone1980 Member

I have a LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S BS0C (ATA) burner. The firmware is "BS0C" and this is the firmware that came installed from the factory. I recently bought some Verbatim DataLife Plus DVD-R's in a 5 pack at Circuit City. They have a media code of MCC 02RG20. These discs worked great and I understand they are among the best in quality. I ran out of discs so I bought a 25 spindle of them at Best Buy. I bought the box that had the "AZO" sticker on it because I remember the other box had the AZO sticker on it. The new discs have a media code of MCC 03RG20. I took these home and tried to burn a DVD and I have ended up with 2/2 coasters. DVD Decrypter fails writing after the LeadIn track. The message is "Cannot Write Medium - Incompatible format". What the hell is going on? The only difference is the 1 digit in the media code and the fact that the new discs can burn up to 16x (but I was burning at 1x anyways!).

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

3. tbone1980

tbone1980 Member

That did the trick! I wonder why they did not list any firmware upgrades at liteon.com... Thanks for your help.

4. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

i have the same drive as well, the reason they don't list it on the liteon site is that their site is REALLY outta date and it takes further investigation to get a new firmware from other sources sometimes.

this is sometimes true with other sites such as nec, and even my main pioneer, i found the newest update on another website almost a month before it finally was available from pioneer website.

im glad that you got things to work, firmware is usually the way to go for the drive to recognize the newer media, and in your case, the 16x verbs...definitely needed a newest firmware for it to work.

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

tbone1980, I'm glad to see you got her straighted out.I use a lot of the verbatim data life plus +8x printable and non-printable media. Very good stuff-MCC-003.

Good luck and burn on!!!!!!!!!

6. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

think i might have to find an even newer, if not beta firmware for the 16x...im taking your suggestion for the 16x verbs at bestbuy...will be a first time for me~ :p only had 8x media until now. ill let you all know once i try it out. thanks for the heads up.