1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bouncy video

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by catdaddio, Sep 6, 2004.

1. catdaddio

catdaddio Member

hey guys i have a capture from old vhs,the picture and audio is great,except that while playin dvd the picture seems to bounce alittle,,is there any software for this?or do i need some hardware

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well that Bounce could be from a few different things Like dropping Frames while Captureing , Or if your Capture card or the Capture software captures with the Field order reverced you will get a Jumpy effect in High motion scenes....

You shouldn"t be dropping frames when captureing to Mpeg2 useing your System so It might be the Capture Software....
    Maybe try something else to capture to Mpeg2 Like "InterVideo WinDVR 3.0" .....

3. ptm

ptm Guest

I'm going to guess that the problem is NOT from frame-dropping or other capture problems.

Does theimage seem to drift a bit up and down? If so, then a Time Base Corrector should stabilize the picture - I remember dealing with this years ago in the old days of dubbing videos. (Especially with VHS players)

Now, I too would like to hear about any recommended digital solutions.

4. catdaddio

catdaddio Member

first i am capturing to huffy first then encoding to mpeg2 with main concept,,i use iuvcr for cap software and have a cheap kworld card,,i'm not droppin any frames and the field order is correct,,guess i shoulda stated that stuff the first time,,sorry
    anyway yeah its like the picture just kinda goes up and down on the tv screen,,its not jerky or anything just like it bounces around some..i only have a couple movs to trnsfer so the tbc route wouldn't be good for me,,but thats prob my only option,,i got that arcsoft video stabilizer,,dont bother with it,,i dont know what it stabilizes,it had the picture goin everywhere,,and i'm not one of these guys that seem to have software trouble every time they get something new;) anyway thanks for the help guys

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

Have you analized the Field Order of the AVI file before encodeing it to Mpeg?? Because if you Just leave the encoder Field settings as there default settings then there is a 50/50 Chance that it is set Oposite of what the source files field order is...You have to know your source files Field order before encodeing it to Mpeg or it could be encoded with the wrong Field order which would make it look like it is Jumping up and down one scan Line...
    You can also try De-Interlaceing and see if that helps....

6. ptm

ptm Guest

I tried recording VHS last night - and indeed witnessed the "bouncing" It's actually in te Video feed - so no amount of field order adjustment will address the issue. (For me anyway)

The de-interlacing is a neat idea, what SW do you recommend for this? I'm capturing as a DV file via Pinnacle Studio 9.

7. Minion

Minion Senior member

You can de-Interlace while encodeing in MainConcept...