1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brand new house & line ...

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by vodkasoda, Jul 10, 2007.

1. vodkasoda

vodkasoda Member

I am moving to a new house in the Irish countryside in 2 weeks. It is, so I am assured, cable ready for c*or*s.

I have read about 200 threads today, (from work, via LogMeIn and my head is pounding thanks to slow & jerky responses !!!) but can't find my exact questions answered.

I have read that analogue & digital signals are fed down the same line & that I don't need a subscription to avail of these signals if I use a Starview, Eurovox (better) or Dreambox (best) decoder. Is this still the case in a brand new house with a brand new line, or will I need to get the cable "activated" in some way, presumably by buying their basic analogue (presumably the cheapest) package ?

The other thing that worries me is the imminent upgrade by UPC to the same technology as SKY with regard to PVR ( http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single8370 ), will this affect the way that the signals are sent and will this render these decoders useless and/or unusable thanks to the constant need to upgrade the firmware and/or the necessary codes ?!?!?

I already have SKY Plus and only really want this so I can pick up the football on Setanta, but if I am likely to be wasting my money ......

Any advice would be appreciated ...

2. ryanmg

ryanmg Guest

first make sure what provider it is n** or ch****.check to see can you get digital in that area because if they don't provide digital to that area you won't pick it up.now when you move in there will be a box on the wall n** or ch**** you will need a cable to put into it (take all the cables from your old house).now from the wall put the cable in your tele check to see if you can get the basic channels.if you do the provider has left you a live feed that they forgot to turn off.so just buy any box you want and you won't have to pay a cent to the cc.if there is no live feed you could take the blocker off the box outside but that is illegal.so then you will have to ring the cc and ask for there basic package usually 40 euro per month.i don't know if they will be knocking us off in the near future but if you get 2-3 months use out of it well you did good.
    if you have any more questions just ask :)

3. vodkasoda

vodkasoda Member

The supplier is definitely c****s, and digital TV is available ... apparently !!! Not sure I believe anything they say after some of the recent discussions I've had with them about their services !!!

However, €40 a month for their basic package ?!? I'd rather just pay the subscription for Setanta on my SKY package !!!

4. myloyams

myloyams Regular member

Look on the roofs of other houses near you, look for a small square mesh ariel with a short boom, if they have that then a starview wont work for you, Starview will only work with ch*rus true cable, no good for MMDS (ariel)