1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brand New PSP (USA) - Can it be downgraded?

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by algtz1, May 14, 2007.

1. algtz1

algtz1 Regular member

I have read thread after thread after thread. My head now hurts but can someone confirm the following:

I have concluded that newer PSP come with a later version of firmware (3.03) that will brick. With some of the tools mentioned in this forum. I would need to downgrade to 1.50 using an unpatched GTA UDM then I can upgrade to 3.03 OE-C once I do this then I can play back up ISOs that have been saved on a memory stick. So this is basically a soft mod solution to avoid opening and adding a mod chip, Correct?

If I buy a brand new PSP off the shelf in the US from a local retailer today. Can it be downgraded? I was confused on some of the threads. Some said that you have to wait for a new downgrader to be made. Is this true? Or can I use the GTA UDM solution. And if so, is the only way to get this UDM is to find a copy of it. Can it be dowloaded as an iso from a torrent site? Sorry that I have asked too many questions. But I want to make sure this can be done before I go and buy the new PSP.

2. guano

guano Regular member

Buy your PSP off of ebay or used. That way, you'll have more of a chance to get a lower FW version. If it's over 3.03 or w/e came after that, chances are slim b/c there isn't a downgrader for anything above 3.03 yet. (If my memory serves me correctly) But you're assumption is right - it IS a soft down option to avoid the chip.

3. algtz1

algtz1 Regular member

So basically the two options are:

If I buy a brand new one - Pay the high price tag for someone to chip the psp or:

Try to buy a used one in hopes that it has an older version of the firmware/motherboard?

Looks like two terrible options at the moment.

4. glenquag

glenquag Regular member

5. algtz1

algtz1 Regular member

OK, the PSP with the lowest firmware that I have seen new off the shelf is the (I) 2.60 fw at a local Target. Now my question is this. Which method is better as I have seen a couple ways. Do I need to upgrade to 2.71 and then use the 2.71 downgrader I seen in these forurms (2.71 downloader) if so, how do I upgrade from 2.6 to 2.71? The other options is to use the GTA: LCS exploit but I am having trouble locating an unpatched version. Is there anything else that I am missing hear. Also when formatting the memory stick should I format using fat 16?

6. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

It would be cheaper and better to upgrade to 2.71, check to make sure 2.71 is the one that can be downgraded, and then downgrade to 1.5 And when you insert your memory stick into your PSP their should be a option to format it, I would just do that to save the hassle.

7. Dollaz

Dollaz Member

I got a new PSP a couple of weeks ago at Wal-Mart and it was a 2.60.