1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brand new SONY DVD not reading it's own copies

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by eodman, Jan 24, 2007.

1. eodman

eodman Guest

I have a brand new sony dual layer dvd and after making just three dvd's it can't read it's own copies.....

any ideas?

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

What's the brand name,speed rate,and format of your blank media?

What's the model # of that sony drive and also the current firmware version?

How fast did you burn them?

Do they work on other stand alone players?

What are you backing up? Original dvds or downloads of avi,mpeg,bittorrents,etc?

How are you backing them up? Programs being used and the process of how you are backing up.

3. kbuilt

kbuilt Member

Maybe a firware update will help.
    Had to do this when I got my Sony Dual Layer.

Just did a google search for sony firmware updates and found what was needed. If you know the model # this helps. You may also find them at sony's website.

4. eodman

eodman Guest

Just did the firemware update.. sony said that the drive won't read it's own burnt disks until a manufactured dvd with region select is played. i went and set the region for the U.S.... i don't know what they're talking about... i know disks are made for regions but, didn't know you selected a region????

system is a sony DRU-830A (18x), xp pro, AMD athlon system
    the drive is in the master position

the dvd's work in other computers just not the drive that burnt them

5. eodman

eodman Guest

ok i changed to dvd+r and it reads what it burns....

maybe it was just the media???

thanks for any help

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

It could have been the dash format,or just having difficulties with the manufacturer of that batch of media.

Those dash discs that the sony drive wouldn't recognize:
    What's the brand name and speed rate of them?

What's the brand name and speed rate of the +r's that work?

What's is the current firmware version?

I'm not sure about the DRU-830,but the earlier sony drives like the 700/710/800/810/and 820 were rebadges and had booktyping capability to help out for those compatability issues that you had on those dash backups.It only works on capable drives and the plus format media- +R/+RW/+R DL.

Here's a link to a free program. It will tell you the MID code of your media,the firmware version,and also tell you if that +R backup is booktyped to dvd-rom.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd-r_tools/dvd_identifier.cfm

Insert the +r backup,open up dvdidentifier,select drive-firmware version is to the right of the model#,click identify,click the clipboard icon,then on next post-right click and paste it into that post and give us a look at it.