1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

brand spankin new - question

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by greatgord, Oct 3, 2004.

1. greatgord

greatgord Guest

correct me if i'm wrong but,
    are both dvd decrypter and dvd shrink capable of ripping a dvd movie to the hard drive and then making a viewable copy (on a dvd player) as a dvd-r/rw? so is there any reason to have both?
    thanks
    g

2. greatgord

greatgord Guest

oh, and is there any need for nero?

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Both Shrink and Decrypter will rip.

Only Shrink can compress a film to fit a blank.

Shrink has no built in burning engine but is set up to use either Decrypter's or Nero's engines.

If you want a totally free way to back up DVDs then Shrink/Decrypter is the way to go :)

4. Gringle

Gringle Guest

Good question GG, and if yer willing to 'spend'some time reading some previous threads, you may find an answer??????

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi greatgord ,,

If you have an older movie (they usually are older movies) and the size of the DVD is below 4.38 GB you don't need DVD Shrink at all. DVD Decrypter can rip and burn the DVD without any help at all -

Because most of todays DVD's are DVD-9's (> 4.38GB) you really need DVD Shrink -

Sea Ya - - -

Pete

6. greatgord

greatgord Guest

thanks all,
    that's all i really needed to know...i am slowly getting the hang of using the two programs
    cheers
    g

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

greatgord,

Now that you're doing well, that doesn't mean it's time for you to up and Ski-dattle - this is a give and take kind of a deal - we had fun helping you, now, the next time, you get to have some fun yourself :)

It's people like you who make this site work - You've seen how we work and you've seen that we had fun doing it -

Now it's your turn, stop back when you're free and help someone else - You'll have fun and, a chance to learn some more, (teaching is a learning experience too you know) the people you help will appreciate it and it will make you feel better :)

Then you'll have a chance to "Welcome" them into our little Club :D

We hope to see you around when you're NOT having problems to solve -

You'll find us hanging out, over there by the water cooler, under the potted palm, chewing the fat and trying to help the next Newbie with the weight of the burning world upon their shoulders -

We'll be looking for you -

Cheers,

Pete

8. greatgord

greatgord Guest

without a doubt pete.
    although i am new to the scene, i will contribute where and when i can (but that depends on how much time i have to perfect the art).
    don't worry - i ain't one of those types that you hvae to fear.
    l8r
    g

9. Gringle

Gringle Guest

Some-one asked a question, some-one gave an answer..

yup..

Pete yer my hero ........ don't need say no more.

10. Jefferey

Jefferey Guest

Hi Pete.. I was wondering after reading all this stuff and trying a million different programs,, and folks having to use two or three programs to make there DVDs , I finely found TMPGEnc DVD Author, And it does it all for me... it will shrink the movie that I have copied to (hard drive) From my PVR or VHS players then Copy it right to my blank DVD disk , then I can put it into my home player and it starts right up and plays and looks GREAT! ~S~ Nero seems to be sucky at doing this stuff...
    Anyways , thanks for a great Forum.
    Jeff