1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

branded media

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by paul5619, Nov 10, 2004.

1. paul5619

paul5619 Member

whats the difference between branded media and over-prints....
    just ordered some ridisc (branded ritek) discs.
    are these any good?
    keep reading people going on about ritek g04
    whats the difference?
    also read people on about the dye on these discs,
    whats this mean and what difference does it make.
    anyone?

2. kchev

kchev Regular member

Ridisc is not very good quality.

Ridata "branded" should be what to look for with the G04 dye.

3. paul5619

paul5619 Member

thanx.
    still dont understand the following whats g04 dye?
    whats the difference between branded and over-prints?

4. kchev

kchev Regular member

G04 dye is what the Ridata "branded" discs use and is the best DVD-R dye. You have to be careful because just because it says it is G04 doesn't mean it is good. That is where the low-grade overprints come in at. Places get their hands on this low quality crap and "overprint" the label on the disc to look different.

"Branded" means that the name "Ridata" is physically printed on the top of the disc. An overprint will usually be blank and will not have the "brand" name on it.

Just order from a reputable online reseller and you will have alot less headaches and get good quality media. I only use rima and newegg. Alot of people like meritline also, but their customer satisfaction can be a bit crappy.

http://www.resellerratings.com/

Last edited: Nov 11, 2004
  5. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Alot of people like meritline also, but their customer satisfaction can be a bit crappy.

Not sure where you get that. I and many others have used meritline and NEVER had problems with their support. I got one bad disc out of 100 one time and they sent one to replace it and gave me a 5.00 off coupon on my next purchase.

Once I ordered the wrong brand by mistake and they sent me a refund when I told them about my mistake before I even sent the wrong ones back!

They don't charge shipping on all my media orders, they don't charge a restocking fee for returns and you can send a pack of media back even if you have opened it for a full refund.

I've been using them over a year and they consistently have the best prices 9 out of 10 times. There are thousands of others who feel the same way. I recommend them ALL the time to newbies and I've yet to hear one complaint.

Soooo, I would be curious to know where you heard their customer support can be crappy. Or if it happened to you, I would like to hear what happened, if you don't mind :>)

6. kchev

kchev Regular member

Last edited: Nov 21, 2004
  7. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... The last time I ordered media from Meritline, it took 25 days from the time they charged my CC until the time I received my order ... They claimed that they "misplaced" my order, but until they "found" it somewhere at their site I had to order more media from NewEgg (which is where I now do business) ... I had been a very regular Meritline customer, having spent several thousand dollars there ... Until my "lost" order, I had been very satisfied with them ... Never again ...

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I have bought media at both places mentioned above and never really had a problem with either one. I do have to say I like NewEgg more just because of speed of service and thats where I buy all my hardware :)
    but I usually do the best (If just shopping for media) at Supermedia store http://www.supermediastore.com/index.html
    The sights that sell just media seem to have a lot more selection of blank media than newegg, and that is the only reason I would get my DVDR's there because none of them beat NewEggs service. Supermedia and Rima are also usually cheaper than newegg, not much and not always, but they just have more of a selection. These Riteks aren't everything they are cracked up to be either Taiyo Yuden is top of the line. Don't get me wrong the Riteks are good but not near the quality of the Taiyo Yuden. Also this branded crap everyone is talking about I don't really know why you would care if it's branded or not the Ritek disk's that you can print on arent branded and they are still g04 (does this make them no good?). Thing is no matter what disk you buy at first just buy as few as possible I would reccomend to buy a variety of 4 to 5 diffent ones (1ea of course) and you decide what one works best for you as everyone's Burners, Stand alone player's, & PC's are different. What works for one person dosent neccesarily mean it will work for you. I have had some of the cheapest disk's out there work like a charme and some of the most expensive have a 20% failure rate. So the best thing to do is just try some out and when you get one you like stick with it..

Good Luck :)

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

One more thig the sight listed above by kchev rated Rima.com a 10 and Supermedia a 7.45 and newegg a 9.58

Not sure what this means just thought I would throw that out there.. Take it for what it's worth I guess?
    Dont believe everything you read LOL

:)

10. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... A "branded" disc doesn't necessarily mean that the name in printed out on the surface of the disc ... In some cases (especially on printable discs) this could mean that the brand name is pressed into the hub area of the disc ... as long as the brand name appears somewhere, somehow on the disc, it is considered to be a "branded" disc ...

11. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Ok look... I have Ritek G04's at least thats what disk detector tells me :) They have no hub because white label goes all the way to the middle.. So don't get to hung up on branded or not. Just be sure you are buying from a reputable place and they have a good return policy if you don't like what you get. Always run your disk's threw Disc Detector or a like program to see who manufactured your disk. Another thing I also have used TDK, Taiyo Yuden, Maxell, Verbatim, Memorex, Optodisc, & Prodisc. I would say out of all of them hmmm well here is how I would rate them all..
    1. Taiyo Yuden (You can't go wrong with these)
    2. Prodisc (Not branded, but never had a coaster from one & they are cheap)
    3. TDK
    4. (TIE) Maxell & Verbatim
    5. Optodisc (Wasen't to bad, but a few coasters)
    6. Memorex (They need to stick with Tape's)

Now you can take that for what it is worth because like I always say what works well for one person will not always work for another.
    Just a little more info.. Burners NEC 3500A & 2500A.

Good luck with your disk search and remember find one that works best for you don't get to hung up on what others say... :)

12. bigorange

bigorange Active member

So don't get to hung up on branded or not.

Actually that's not true, There were just a batch of fake Taiyo Yudens out that weren't branded but read TY's in dvdinfopro or dvd identifier. Yet they were fakes. They weren't branded either.

look at this forum... http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=103828

I recommend everyone get branded media. If you don't you may get the real thing, you may not. But at 2-3 cents more a disc, it's well worth it to me if it's branded, you "know" what you are getting.

13. bigorange

bigorange Active member

catfreak,

sorry for your mishap with meritline but it sounds like they were giving good service up until that point. Anyway, I have spent well into four figures with them and they have always been A-1 including getting my orders in 2-3 days. And I've never seen a better return policy.

I guess everyone screws up now and then, the old saying "you can't please everybody all the time...."

I have used Newegg also, no complaints there either, but I got crap service from Supermedia and I'll never go back there again.

But I'll stick with meritline until they let me down, so far tho, thumbs up!

14. cuteperv

cuteperv Regular member

Have you all experiece buring with maxwell disc? I checked out http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=582488
    and see they have this sale going on. I never use maxwell to burn ps2 games b4 and i dont wanna waste my money. A little helpwill b very appreciated.Thanks

15. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Well, I've heard recently that Maxell is now farming out their media from several sources now. You are paying .40 each for the ones you are looking at, I believe I'd stick with Ritek 4x -R which you can get for .40 to .45 each with free shipping.

16. cuteperv

cuteperv Regular member

which website you're buying at, the last time i bought at allmediaoutlet.com, the process completes in 1 day but the butthole fedex they chose to ship my ritek go4 took 10 days to deliver. i hope the 1 u dealt with is not the 1 i used cause right now i'm pissed at fedex

17. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Actually I use Meritline and Newegg. Both use UPS or USPS and deliver to me in about 3-5 days.

18. HiRezHead

HiRezHead Member

I can't still understand why people rate Taiyo Yuden Higher than Verbatim, is this religion or are we talking about facts? Fact is that I NEVER saw a review or shootout (in germany, UK & USA) where Taiyo Yuden was not beaten by Verbatim.

After reading so many media reviews, shootouts and roundups the ranking should be:

1. Verbatim +R -R (MCC)
    2. TDK +R -R (TT)
    3. Ricoh, SONY (Ricohjpn)
    4. Maxell -R (Ritek)
    5. FUJI +R -R (TY)
    Benq -R (Sony)
    6. Platinum -R (Ritek)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2004
  19. cuteperv

cuteperv Regular member

Hey why you put Ritek in (), does it mean Ritek makes Maxwell? I check office depot online and see they have a special on a 50-pack Maxwell DVD-R for only 20 bucks, that's like 30bucks less than usual. Wondering if that's what you meant. But by the way, I thought Maxwel is the best media out there since it is the most expensive one too. Verbantim only costs 50cents while Mxwell costs 1.14

20. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... First of all the name of the discs is Maxell not Maxwell ... Second, the price of the discs really doesn't indicate just how good they are only how much someone has decided to charge for them ... Third, Maxell discs are made by Maxell, Ritek, Ricoh(Jpn) and Taiyo Yuden and you can't really tell which one unless you ID them with a program ... (but all 4 are very good!)

... I personally think that Maxell is the best store brand since they NEVER use CMC as a manufacturer (Verbatim does on occasion) ... However, that is my personal opinion and is subject to debate ...

... I say buy the Maxell discs for $20/50, it's a killer deal and you'll be very happy with them ...

... Here is a good deal for MCC (excellent media) produced ProDisc DVD-R media @ $27/100 ...

http://www.supermediastore.com/pr4xdvsi4100.html?source=afterdawn1129

Last edited: Nov 29, 2004