1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BREAKiNG news: Make PS3 Back-ups through XMB!!

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by nax0101, Jul 18, 2007.

1. nax0101

nax0101 Regular member

Up until now, the only way to make PS3 back-ups was to use the PS3 Linux Method or PS3 SAK v1.00. Tonight, resident PS3Dev'er hacked2123 is planning to share with the world how to make PS3 disc back-ups via the PS3 XMB! To quote:

Quote:
    I am currently developing a barbaric method by which I have already been able to dump a small section of the Bluray games while in the XMB. I will create the necessary file to dump the entire disk tonight and post it here.

Requirements: (Only tested on firmware 1.11)
    1. DVD or Bluray Burner
    2. An IDE to SATA Adapter
    3. An IDE Hard-Drive
    4. My guide

more to come later as it happens

Last edited: Jul 18, 2007
  2. Boston84

Boston84 Member

Too bad you cant play the backed up discs without a loader.

3. nax0101

nax0101 Regular member

ye but at least were getting somewhere

if this is runnin under the xmb then we might be onto something

4. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

I think it is wasting time as we already have methods to dump the games.Besides if you have a Blu-Ray burner why not just dump the image straight to your computer,and put it on media.They need to try to access the chips on the console in order to find the boot sequence.The way they did it with the PS2 and the 360 was use an oscilliscope and measure the wave patterns as a disc was initialized.The frequency of the wave patterns gave you details of the jumping points pretty much how the media is read.I don't have an oscilliscope,and they are expensive without a doubt but it would work.

5. Jlhfit

Jlhfit Regular member

really who cares... Stop coming up with 10 different ways to dump an image and do something useful and play the damn thing already....

6. xXxBG

xXxBG Regular member

u guys are so cheap, if u can afford the console. then u can deffinetly afford the games

7. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

No offense,but if you have a Blu-Ray burner there would be no need to use Linux to dump games.

xXxBG what makes you think people haven't been buying the games.If Sony releases a decent game then people will buy it.I think your wasting your time calling people cheap on a forum,because to be honest with you nobody is gonna lose sleep if you call them cheap.I can afford the console,but that doesn't mean I want to run out and buy every game Sony makes.The game selection right now if your talking about good games is very slim,and there won't be any more good games coming out till 2008.I bought all the games I like so far,and if I want to back them up to protect my investment then I will.It is not because I can't afford games,it is because I don't want to buy the same game more than once.

8. xXxBG

xXxBG Regular member

thats all u had to say.

9. Jlhfit

Jlhfit Regular member

Instead of spending 1g on a blueray burner, save 500 bucks and buy 18 ps3 games......

10. airball

airball Regular member

@ DarylC
    Couldn't agree more.

11. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Regular member

More like 15...you forget tax...LOL

A BR burner would be neat..but frankly a waste since DVD9 or even HDDs would be a better choice,then again you'd be better off with a PS3 and 2 or 3 games if you wanted to get your feet wet with BR LOL

Also dumping is useful it helps the community grow and being out the best of the console,why look at the PSP it would be no where without hacking :X

xXxBG
    Sorry I refuse to buy 60$ mediocre games never have never will either I buy them for what their real worth is(1-30$ with shipping) or I never "buy" them at all.

speaking of which I am breaking my rule 1 and my rule 2 to get the bioshock PC limited edition ><(1.No games over 30$ 2.Boycott EB/GS)
    LOL

12. Jlhfit

Jlhfit Regular member

Yeah tax...forgot about the government extortion.... lol
    Oh Im all for exploiting game consoles... Hell I have 293 ps2 backups.. but what I am trying to say is making PS3 backups is more expensive than PSP or PS2 backs... Ive havent bought a game since N64 came out. Maybe down the road, bluray burning and burners will come down in price. Right now though, with the current prices and so forth, your better off buying the game. Example: Game cost 59.95, 65 bucks +/-. blank blueray 12-15 bucks, Good blueray burner close to $1000.. for those that think backing up to HDD and playing them off there... hope you like buying muiltiple hdd... 13g to eventually 100g bluerays is alot of space... What would be really great is that maybe once PS3 backup loading becomes available, someone could figure out how to downsize the images or place then on DVD5 or 9.. that would be sweet