1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bricking after Pandora Downgrade?

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by saocide, Sep 26, 2007.

1. saocide

saocide Member

I'm having a problem with my recently unbricked PSP. Last night I was fooling around with a newly downloaded theme and accidently deleted the wrong files in my flash0, and then I had to follow that by turning my psp off. We all know what happened to my psp then, but successfully I turned my only battery into a Pandora Battery today, and my 1G stick into a magic memory stick. After much tinkering I downgraded to 1.50 using the pandora battery, and now my psp is functioning once again. Now, 1.50 is great and all, but i'm having problems loading any homebrew applications, and all my UMD's will not work with 1.50. Now here's the main problem:

After upgrading (successfully) to 3.40 OE-A on two different occasions, it's left my PSP bricked after the coldboot. (not so successfully actually) Recovery mode wont start either. I know it's not the battery because I turn my PSP on only with the AV adapter and my 4G stick. I've also tried upgrading to 3.52 M33 with no luck either.. What's strange is it doesn't shut off, the green power light just shines on, but i'm getting no response from my PSP. I can downgrade back to 1.50 but without homebrew or UMDs, my PSP is not alot more than a fat chunky MP3 player.

Could this problem have to do with the way I caused my first brick?

Anyone have any ideas?

2. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

your first brick wouldn't matter, because you restarted fresh with 1.50. people mess with their flash0, and make mistakes, but they get back running like nothing happened.

when you upgraded to 3.52 m33, did you go straight from 3.40 oe-a, or start from 1.50? some people have problems after updating from OE firmware.

for the battery, if you leave it as a pandora's battery, it'll stay on. you can turn it back to normal with the pandora's battery creator. there is a program that will make it into a normal and pandora's battery, but i haven't tried it, as i use the sony 2200mAh battery as my main one.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2007
  3. larrylje

larrylje Active member

After downgrading to 1.50 did you restore your PSP Battery to a normal Battery? The CFW upgraders shouldn't even work if there is no battery in the PSP. You uassly have to be at 75% to run them.

4. saocide

saocide Member

No, I go from 1.50 to 3.52 M33, but whenever I upgrade from 1.50 to ANY other firmware (sony or not), I brick right after the update process. And i'm aware about reversing the battery but i'm fearful that i'll need my pandora battery again if I attempt to attempt to upgrade leading to another brick again.. What i'm trying to figure out is why the update leaves me bricked. I actually run a free downgrade/upgrade half-business free of charge for my friends with PSPs, so I know what i'm doing in terms of down/upgrading

5. larrylje

larrylje Active member

I say it is the Pandora Battery that is causing the issue. After you downgrade to 1.50 with the Pandora battery you should convert it back to normal or place a normal battery in the PSP before upgrading to a CFW.

You are running the KXploit Patcher before upgrading with the M33CREATOR right?

6. saocide

saocide Member

What I do is turn on the PSP with my AC adapter, then I stick in the pandora battery. After that I disconnect the AC adapter and the PSP is using the pandora battery for power.

7. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

maybe it's your key #5. what motherboard do you have? is it the ta-082, ta-086 motherboard? if it is, then key #5 might be the problem. you'll need to run keycleaner to fix it.

8. larrylje

larrylje Active member

You have no other normal PSP battery?

I have no idea if using the Pandora Battery as power would cause the issue. I have never tried it and don't know of anyone else that has tried it. Thats why i think that is the issue you could be having.

You are running the KXploit patcher before running the M33CREATOR file correct?

9. saocide

saocide Member

Ok. That's the only thing I haven't tried yet and it sounds like the best thing. I'll borrow a friends battery and try it tomorrow, thanks.

10. saocide

saocide Member

Yeah I am, actually I forgot to the first time and the upgrade wouldn't even start without it.

I tried running it but my attempt to load it failed, along with most of the applications I download, exluding CFW upgrades, but I think i'll give it another try. I think I remember deleted a folder in my flash0 called "kb" or "kn"..

11. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Recovering with Pandora should have re-wrote all the flash0 files you needed. So that shouldn't be an issue.

Why not use the Pandora Battery to recover back to 1.50 then convert the battery back to normal and try to update to 3.52 M33.

You already said you where going to borrow a friends battery. Just use their PSP if it has CFW on it to create another Pandora Battery if it doesn't work after converting it back to normal.

Just let us know if you get it to work.

12. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

yeah, just post back tomorrow with the outcome. we'll try to figure out the problem if it still exists.

13. saocide

saocide Member

Okay, so.

I got a hold of a friends battery, using it to upgrade to 3.52 M33, and it seemed pretty stable. I got home and using the AV adapter as a power source I went in and changed my GAME folder to GAME150 so I could test something out. I tried running my SNES emulator, and it froze after the gameboot and shut off. But what really confuses me, it's left me bricked. I can't access the recovery mode or get to my XMB. I'm just a little confused, I have no idea how I could brick without accessing my flash.. I ran the keycleaner while I was using his battery but all my keys looked fine.

Is my psp haunted?

14. guano

guano Regular member

Weird. But I DO know you don't need a GAME150 folder. Or any other folder in your PSP directory aside from GAME. That's all you ever needed. Everything works fine from there.