1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brighter objects move to a beat with tmpge SVCD.

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by DBCooper, Mar 4, 2003.

1. DBCooper

DBCooper Guest

I have been making SVCD's for about 3 months now and have just now noticed a video anomaly during playback. I see no trace of this problem with any computer playback-only with DVD player. The DVD player says "SVCD" on it and everything, I think it is fine. The specific problem is with the jumpiness of bright artifacts. Especially items in the picture like neon lights in storefronts, lampshades, and even more especially, red objects. In one movie, looking down at an oriental rug, enerything about this SVCD picture was satisfactory except the red portion of the rug. These items appear to be jumping downward in direction maybe 10 lines or so at a rate of once every .7 seconds. It's like a shadow of certain objects in the picture jumping down and then back up into place again. I have fiddled with everything I know how to fiddle with (aspect ratio, frame rate, interlace or non). I am stumped.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2003
  2. DBCooper

DBCooper Guest

OK-I fiddled some more and got rid of the jumpy artifacts in my picture. One way was to go into GOP in tmpge and set those thingies to 1-4-2 instead of 1-5-2. Another change that workes was using the template for 1950 KBS instead of 2520. But I still don't have a grasp of what causes this jumpiness in small, reddish objects or patterns on my tv screen. If anyone can enlighten me that would be most pleasant.

3. DBCooper

DBCooper Guest

Yuk! While viewing my first burned SVCD since fiddling with the GOP settings, the picture went all white 35 minutes into the movie. The white went away and left a 10 second audio gap in its wake. Back to anti-jumpiness drawing board.