1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brightness setting

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by mootube, Feb 10, 2005.

1. mootube

mootube Member

Mostly an AVI will be dark in WMP but normal in Media Player Classic, sometimes the other way around, sometimes ok in both if I'm lucky but now, one film is dark in both, which brings me to these forums. =) I think it's DivX which WMP doesn't like iirc and the AVI which was dark in both was an Xvid.
    How can I alter the brightness or gamma to play these back properly? Monitor brightness doesn't seem to affect playback, it just washes outy everything else.
    I remember once having black screen playback with Mpeg4 and it was resolved by altering the codec settings. Is there somewhere with the codec, WMP or Windows XP I can alter that might correct this or what else can I do? I use the klite codecs which I've been very happy with until this problem arose.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2005
  2. mootube

mootube Member

I've just solved the problem by using ffdshow configuration.

I also found this in the DivX online FAQ but haven't resorted to it:

4.6 Picture is too dark when playing DivX movies

If the picture is too dark when playing DivX movies it is possible to change the brightness/contrast settings. Goto the File menu in Windows Media Player and select Properties (make sure that you have a DivX movie loaded or the Properties option will be disabled). Then click the Advanced tab and select the "DivX MPEG-4 DVD Video Decompressor", then click Properties. A new window with a brightness slider will be displayed. If you move the slider to the left the picture will become darker. If you move the slider to the right the picture will become brighter. Experiment a bit to find the value that works best for you.

Please note that the above instructions only work in Windows Media Player v6.4. If your system has a newer version of Windows Media Player installed you can still access the older version to make the needed changes. Simply goto the Start menu in Windows, select "Run..." and enter "mplayer2" in the box. Then click the OK button to start Windows Media Player v6.4.

3. mootube

mootube Member

The codec alterations were upsetting all the players for the sake of WMP so better to search (in vain) for WMP brightness. On failing to find it, resort to scouring the intarweb with keywords.

Quote:
    Windows Media Player brightness. =View > Enhancement > Check the 'Show Enhancement' tab. And boom, you can change brightness, contrast, everthing.

Gotta love Macro****