1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bringing Shame on Afterdawn

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by loaded, Sep 20, 2002.

1. loaded

loaded Moderator Staff Member

I woke up last Sunday with a hangover you could sell to science. I had that feeling that I had done something wrong, but couldn't quite place it (or even walk straight for that matter).

So, what has this got to do with Afterdawn.

Well, it is simple. It appears that I had spent the evening (or at least, that part of the evening I was not consuming copious quantities of intoxicating beverages) using a friend's computer to post some threads and rip into some newbies on Afterdawn's website.

And all this in the week I was heralded as number one poster! What shame I have brought on you all.

the full horror only came home when I noticed a couple of emails and looked at the threads I had 'contributed' to.

Oh dear. Oh deary deary me.

What an embarrasment.

All I can do is apologise to the management , such as it is ;-) and any newbies who might have been scared off altogether. You see, I did not mean any harm, it is only that we had purchased (for in the Czech Republic is is obscenely cheap to do so) a 30 litre barrel of beer. Being that there were only 11 of us (including one driver, one pregnant and one breast feeding lady, obviously not drinking) you can imagine how silly we were, when upon finishing the barrel we decided (well it seemed like a good idea at the time) to start on Slivovice instead (OUCH!)

I think you have the picture now. I do not recommend posting when drunk and especially if the keyboard is a funny foreign one.

Some of my posts might as well have been posted in Finnish (sorry guys!) or even Czech, for all the comprehension they provided their readers.

If Afterdawn will accept my apology, I will be grateful and of course, I promise not to post when drunk (well not for a while anyway)

And yes I know, it is rather ironic that I chose the nick loaded, as many of my friends across the pond have pointed out, it means drunk, or rather pissed (which of course to you means angry) Understand?

Paul.

PS : Do Not Try This At Home

2. A_Klingon

A_Klingon Moderator Staff Member

Ah, yes, now I see. (nodding head & rubbing chin thoughtfully). Been there, done that.

Started way back in the 70's actually, before the web, and even before text-based bb's (bulletin boards). Used to get gooned up ('loaded'; har-har) while talking on the CB Radio, of all things (citizen's band). I would tell everybody where to go and how to get there. They couldn't ignore me because my rooftop antenna was bigger than most of theirs, and I live in a very high (elevated) neighbourhood.

Just for fun, one night I plugged a tape deck into the back of the cb so I could enjoy my lovely prose the next day. This led to *much* cringing in horror in the morning at what I had said the night before, and much apologizing all around.

Did this teach me any lessons? No, of course not.

I did the same thing on bulletin boards. If you weren't a target, you loved me. If you were, a lot of four-letter words got exchanged, a lot of flaming took place, the moderators had to step in, and of course, I re-apologized profusely to everyone after viewing my messages and cringing in horror some more at what I had typed.

Now, I had learned my lesson, right? Nope.

Did the same again for the first few years on the Weeb. Most folks either loved or hated me on the forums; there weren't many "I-can-take-him-or-leave-him" kind of people.

Don't worry loaded, I've done my share of the same here at a/D, but I try to limit my ramblings to when I'm not too sloshed nowadays, because I really like this place. This has substancial benefits I have found (less cringing the day after, and far fewer apologies).

Let's get drunk sometime !!! :)

-- Mike --

3. A_Klingon

Oh yeah, I forgot to include the lyrics from an *OLD* Charlie Rich (country music) tune, "The Most Beautiful Girl", and it goes something like this.....(maestro, if you please...)

"I woke up this morning, & realized what I had done.

"I stood alone in the cold grey dawn; I knew I'd lost my morning sun.

"I lost my head, and I said some things.

"Now comes the heartaches that the morning brings."

"I know I'm wrong. I couldn't see. I let my world slip away from me, ....."

(If you can find the tune, download it, and you'll see what I mean.)

It's a pleasure to chat with you loaded, I shall go have a beer now. :)

-- Mike --

4. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

As said earlier, we come from Finland -- land of people who can't control their alcohol consumption ;-) -- and if we would start moderating all drunk posts from our forums, our Finnish message boards would be empty from Friday till Monday ;-)

So, consider this the place where you can post your drunk ramblings without regret ("morkkis" in Finnish -- "moral hangover" :). The whole idea behind the forum is not to take stuff too seriously while also sharing dumb/clever ideas with rest of the world :)

5. loaded

It is amazing in Scandinavia, that although successive governments have made it mortgagable to get drunk on a Friday night, that alcoholism and public drunkenness is still such a problem. Even on the Silja Line ferries (or should I say especially !!) from Stockholm to Helsinki well dressed, obviously businessmen, where blind drunk and behaving strangely. Maybe they were Czech or British tourists!!

Anyway, once again, apologies to all offended.

:)

Paul.

6. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Alcoholism isn't such big problem, our alcohol culture is just twisted in funny ways -- we don't drink virtually _any_ alcohol when we eat, no beer, no wine or anything "European" like that. We save that amount until Friday/Saturday night. And due relative expensiveness of alcohol, specially younger people, <25 or so, buy big pile of beer and drink that at home/friend's place, get _seriously_ drunk and go bar AFTER THAT, around 11pm-midnight and hang in the bar until it closes at 4am, getting even more drunk. You can imagine my shock when I went to pub first time in London and left from home, slightly drunk already, around 1130pm and the frigging place was closed already :-D

But destroying your brain cells with alcohol works like predator to herd of buffalos -- only weak and slow ones get killed, leaving your remaining brain cells in better overall shape when the excess fat is lost ;-) Maybe that's why we have Nokia, Linux and other weird stuf.. Or maybe because communicating using technical tools is easier for us than face-to-face. Aww, shit, what the hell, it's fun to get drunk anyway and harrass various discussion boards/friends/neighbours/relatives/cops ;-)

7. loaded

I agree heartily. In fact I have spent the last four hours getting wasted on my London stockpile of Czech Beer, so stay logged on for some later drunken posts (although, i should be able to find the y and z now!)

Skol

Paul.

8. wonderboy

wonderboy Guest

drunk posts rock...lol they are hella funny you ever notice how people seem to spell better when they are drunk lol, sometimes they make more sense then when they arent drunk...I wont drink and drive but I will definately drink and post! take care everyone later .....

9. 3pm

3pm Member

My dad says the ONLY solution to mixing beer and Slivovice is, "Drink so much beer that you forget where the Slivovice is." (He also said that if he was ever chased by a bear, the bear would never catch him, it would be slippin' and slidin' too much.)

10. loaded

Is your father from the Czech Republic of anywhere similar? That sounds like the sort of crazy thing they would say!

Paul.

11. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Actually Loaded thats we'd say here in Ireland

WHEN WE'RE SOBER!!!!!

You can only imagine drunk!

12. 3pm

3pm Member

Loaded: My father was introduced to Slivovice many years ago by a Yugoslavian immigrant. My dad always said he would get even with Yugoslavia some day.

Dela: I didn't know people in Ireland were ever sober :eek:)

13. loaded

Hey Dela, technically drinking is only allowed over 18.....

I had better be careful, otherwise Dela might get really upset with me :)

Slivovice is great for Labradors and walking stick manufacturers.

Paul.

14. Budfan8

Budfan8 Guest

Ok quick question, what the hell is Slivovice? I live in America and have never heard of it, but after reading these posts I am real intrested in this stuff. American beer is ok, but its not strong enough, needs more alcohol in it but since its the only thing i gots, I am gonna try to pund this case of clydesdales down in record time! One thing I have noticed is I always seem to play video games a helluva lot better when under the influence of intoxicating substances. (I cant type for shit though.) My brain just gets in the zone and I watch the frag count go through the roof. So now I think its time to bust out Battlefield 1942 and drink like there is no tommorow!

15. loaded

OK, a little history for you. American Beer, in particular Budweiser, is in fact a (poor) copy of the Original beers of the Czech Republic. In so far a clear golden beer is concerned, the first was brewed by Pilsner Urquell in 1842 (although beer, hops and water, has been around longer). So you could say the grand daddy of modern beer is Pilsner (from the town Plzen). Other Czech companies have also been brewing for at least 150 years, in particular a company Budvar (from the town Ceske Budejovice). The names Pilsner (in german beer) and Bud (in American beer) are rip offs, nothing more nothing less, of better products seen during trips to europe during the last century. Slivovice in Plum brandy

16. A_Klingon

American beer has always, traditionally, been weaker than Canadian beer.

You've probably heard this one before. It's the oldest beer joke on the books.

"Why is drinking American beer just like making love in a canoe?"

"They're both fu----g-near water!"

-- A_Non --

17. Budfan8

Budfan8 Guest

Canadian beer rocks!! I have so many found memories of canada and beer. My dad and I used to take a fishing trip up to Canada once every 2 years for a week. We would get all of the guys and take a trip up to do nuthin but fish. I remember our first time up I couldn't believe there was a store called the beer store. We went in and the place was huge. Nuthin but beer for as far as we could see, needless to say every year we made it a point to stop there on the way in to the camp site and we made probably about four trips back during the week. 8 guys in two boats drunk is hell is a crack up. My cousin fell off the back while we were ripin accross the lake at 45 mph!(dumbd drunk bastard) Lol one year my second cousin (we called him "skins" and "kitchen bitch") ran out of beer in his boat. my dad launched one to him from the other boat and was about 20 feet away. Lol the beer didn't make it and skins dove in after it, and went down 13 ft to find it! Sure enough though he found it, and I about pissed my pants. God bless Canada!

18. MrAmpuT

MrAmpuT Member

Here's one for you, folks. Back when I was still nursing my liver back to health from an attack of Jack Danielitis one time, and was contemplating drinking a nice Crown & Coke, I ran across a bottle of something named, "Bushmills." Plain and simple, a brand of Irish whiskey. Hoo boy, did I come to like it. Including the one type of it I became most fond of, "Black Bushmills." Non-blended, aged... ahhhhh wonderful! This only led to one problem. While talking with some folks about it, I became aware that it was often refered to simply as, "Black Bush."

One night my mother almost had a heart attack when she heard me say I would be dropping by a local club for the purpose of, "Slurping up a Black Bush with a couple of guys." It is well that my CPR certification was current, because I thought I was going to have to use it on her had she flatlined into an MI from emotional shock. Hahahahahah.