1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

broad band modem help!!!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by andy15, Mar 23, 2005.

1. andy15

andy15 Regular member

My internet will only connect through a proxy. I can't connect normaly just get page can not be displayed this started yesterday but works fine downstairs connected to a d-link router also won't open router page through proxy

2. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Im thinking Host file maybee. Also is this a Cable or DSL modem. Sounds more like a cable modem to me. Sometimes you have to call the cable company and have them reset your modem/account. Not to be done through a router. You say works fine downstairs. Is that a second computer or the same one?

-Del

3. andy15

andy15 Regular member

same pc pluged in to a router

4. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Ok I am still a bit confused. You take this computer upstairs and the internet is funny. Are you going wireless upstairs or is there a drop? If you say wireless will that computer internet fine 10 feet away from router (not plugged into router)?

-Del

5. andy15

andy15 Regular member

what i mean is we have two computers my dad as 1 downstairs i have 1 in my room we have a modem and router we are both pluged in to a router is works mine don't it onlyu connects through proxy is works fine i also tryed through modem on its own but nothing does that help

6. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Im sure your wiring is correct but worth looking at. The modem should be in WAN the computers in any of the other ports Unless your last port shares with an uplink. If so then do not plug anything into the one marked uplink. If all your wiring is correct I would try power cycling the modem and router.

Unplug both, Wait about a minute and then plug the modem in first. Wait for all the lights to become stable then plug the router back in. If that does not work Then I would try reseting the router.

Find a paper clip or something to push in that tiny button in the back. Its just me but I like to have the router off and hold in that reset button for 15 seconds and then plug it back in. It probaly does not matter how you do it. Resetting the router will cause you to lose all you stored information. Most new routers will not lose your login information.

Now you say there are 2 computers. What happens if you bring the other system up to this same port. So see if you can takes your dads into your room just to see if it has the same problems there.

-Del

Last edited: Mar 27, 2005