1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broadband Gestapo

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by necronite, Feb 10, 2005.

1. necronite

necronite Member

My ISP is investigating my use of file sharing. In the meantime they're giving me a probationary treatment by reducing my braodband cable bandwidth to that of a 28.8 dial up modem. I'm so pissed. Their cover story is that they think I have a virus or worm uploading to other computers and want to determine why my computer requires so much uploading before they restore my service. I guess I can tell them I run NAV and adaware and tell them I don't know what they're talking about. I don't need to incrimate myself even though I just mainly use BT for broadcast TV (that I could just as easily record on my VCR). What would you do if you were in my shoes? Optimum Online Cable customer service told me I'd get a call from their security department to see what's up with my PC. Cust service said they restore broadband to *most* customers. I wonder what happene to the BT users that come clean...

2. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Is there an alternative to that ISP in your area? If so, just change providers. Hopefully you haven't signed a long term contract with them. Either way, I would call them tomorrow and demand that my full speed be reinstated. I'd simply say that I'm paying them for highspeed internet, and if they are no longer able to fullfill their commitment, then I am not going to pay my bill.

Just to play it safe, i would remove all the downloaded content form your computer. burn it to couple disks or what ever.

And for a quick fyi, since it seems that the problem that they are having is the volume that you upload, if I were you I'd look into usenet. You can get uncapped access to millions of files with unlimited downloads for $15 a month, depending on the country you live in. Best of all, you never upload a kb. most providers don't care how much you dwnld, so you can get hundreds of gigs a month, depending on you connection speed.

btw, out of curiosity, what country do you live in?

3. necronite

necronite Member

I live in the USSA. I think there are other providers here, but I think I am stuck with either cable or DSL for broadband access. I don't plan on installing a T1.

Speaking of installing, I just had my land line phone cut off, so if I went back to DSL (previous ISP was Verizon DSL) I'd have to reactivate the land line etc. As for cable, well I already get very basic (just broadcast) cable TV, which I never really use since I've met BT. So I use the cable broadband from the same provider. Honestly I had problems since day 1 with that company, from numerous interruptions of service.

I checked out the website for UseNeXT. I will likely participate, but first I want to know if it's legal. I don't want to pay a monthly user fee for an illegal service, when I could do illegal stuff for free.

I still haven't talked to the security tech yet. He called me during work when I was in an important meeting. They won't give me their phone number. It's all a very shady mistrusting operation they have going on over there. I would not be surrpised if they hacked into my computer to search for movie files.

As for burning them off to optical media, well lets just say I'd need to hire someone part time for that task. It would be better just to disconnect several IDE drives.