1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

broken dc jack

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by stmaniac, May 1, 2012.

1. stmaniac

stmaniac Member

I have had my dc jack fixed twice, within the last two months. Im starting to have problems again, but I dont know if its the jack or if it could be the head. The tip dosnet go in all the way, its a little bent. But when it is plug in the tip is nice and tight, the back end is kind of loose. I saw my laptop switch from dc to battery power, i might have tripped on the cord that connects from the wall to the adapter. Plugged it back in and I have power, but when I wiggle the cord it starts switching. Could the problem be the jack, or could it be the tip? Im I making sense, sorry if im not? OH DONT BUT ASUS, THEY ARE NOT WORTH IT. IVE HAD MINE FOR 6 MONTHS AND ITS A PAIN IN THE BUTT!!! NEXT TIME I THINK ILL GET ALIEN WARE.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

knock off the caps lock as refered to as shouting which is a forum rule no no. try wiggle the jack itself in the laptop to see if it moves or not.

3. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

Check and see if someone has an AC adaptor you can try to see if it is the jack on the laptop that is broken. Sometimes the wires break where they are molded into the plastic on the AC adaptor.Try to wiggle the wires on the adaptor to determine if it is the laptop or the adaptor that is bad.Sounds like maybe they could have done a bad job of soldering the jack to the motherboard also.

4. pcrepair

pcrepair Regular member

get your local pc repair shop to plug their adaptor in to see, if it's ok then go back to geek squad and tell them their work sucks and you'd like it fixed better for free
    I do several power sockets a week and we always check power supplies before we strip the laptop to save us time

5. peterk1

peterk1 Member

You can simply buy a Connector to protect your DC Jack: www.protectiveplug.com

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012