1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BROKEN PC (Explorer Problems)

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by NicHt, Apr 6, 2007.

1. NicHt

NicHt Regular member

I recently removed the log on screen for windows, making it log on automatically as there is only one user. It worked great for about a week. I'm not sure if thats whats causing the problem. Anway last night I was playing Star Wars EOW and I decided to stop playing, so I held down the off button and it turned off. Then this morning I plugged in the Crossover cable to connect the two computers. Then I turned on the problem computer and when it logged on there was no explorer. There was the desktop picture, but no start buttons or icons. So I press alt+ctrl+del and the task manager came up. I was able to start processes like play games through task manager, but as imagined, this is not ideal xD So any help would be GREAT.
    Thanks,

--edit:
    When I run explorer.exe with program manager, the start button appears for a second, then disappears.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2007
  2. janrocks

janrocks Guest

3. NicHt

NicHt Regular member

No, It boots fine, Starts windows fine, runs games fine, as long as I do all the above using the task manager.

4. NicHt

NicHt Regular member

So is there anyway I can somehow run the Microsoft windows XP using task manager and repair windows or something? If not, I have a second hard drive, could I just install windows on that and play games off the first? ANd somehow export the registry? Like install windows on HD 2. Then go to the first HD's windows folder and grab the registry so I can still play games?

WHen I run it in safe mode the start bar flashes on and then off.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2007
  5. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Let's back up a step or two.

What login did you remove? Why did you have to press the computer's off button to shut it down when playing Star Wars?

If you have your XP CD handy, you can try to (using Task Manager) going to Run, sfc/scannow and see if it repairs any files that may have been damaged or corrupted.

6. NicHt

NicHt Regular member

I didn't have to restart, I was just being an idiot and couldn't be bothered exiting :( will try that thing now.

7. NicHt

NicHt Regular member

Just popped the cd in, pressed start new task, went to browse, went to setup.exe on windows cd and clicked Upgrade. Hope this works.

8. NicHt

NicHt Regular member

Didn't work. I will just install XP on the second hard drive... can you all tell me where the registry files are located? So that I may copy them from the old windows to the new one? thanks.

9. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Doing that....you take the risk of contaminating the new installation with registry entries that may also been corrupted.

10. NicHt

NicHt Regular member

Thats what I thought, I guess I will just cross my fingers and hope to save a few games, then torrent the rest ;) Thanks anyway.

11. Nelmeco

Nelmeco Regular member

hit alt+ctrl+delete to pull up the task manager. Then go to new task, and enter in explorer.exe. This should pull up the explorer, startmenu, icons, etc.

12. NicHt

NicHt Regular member

Dude, this is hilarious, this is the second forum that someone has said that, and the second forum in which I say this:

I said I tried that in the FIRST post.

Thanks for the input anyway ;)

13. ThisDude

ThisDude Regular member

Use CCleaner or something and scan for issues.

14. 21Q

21Q Regular member

maybe a file associated with explorer is missing, try using xp cd to repair windows

15. billybob

billybob Regular member

21Q, he said he tried that already.

Tell me NICHT, when you start up your computer and it logs on, (well, loads up), does it have the start menu or anything at the VERY START, and come up with a message saying explorer.exe has caused an error and needs to close? Or does it just plain go like that at the start.

Anyway, i think the easiest way would be to just back up any needed information (game saves etc) by copying them to your secondary harddrive, then using your xp disc, just do a full reinstall.

Obviously something has gone horribly wrong when you improperley shut down the computer (lol :p), so i think that would be your best option. Well actually im lying, that would be your easiest option, im lazy you see.

16. 21Q

21Q Regular member

srry, i read it as saying that he tried to upgrade the os

17. jmorris23

jmorris23 Member

Have u tried to creating a new user. i think i fixed a computer awhile back with the problem same as urs. try that it might work.