1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broken ps2. CD wont spin up to read. HELP

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Stinky_1, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

My mod chip had stopped working recently so I did a bunch of diagnostics to it. (Before opening the unit up) I finally decided one of the wires must have broke off. Sure enough I opened it up and the power wire was not connected. So I resoldered that on. Just for fun I checked the ground wire as well. It was on there but came off very easilly, so I soldered another one on in its place. I put the whole unit together and now I find out that my cd will NOT spin up. ALso the screen is completly blank for a bit, then boots into the very initial setup. It has you input the language and the time zone, and the market it is sold to.

I opened it back up and checked all my ribbon cables and they all seem to be fine. I left the unit out of the plastic case and booted it up to watch what was happening. I turn it on, the laser turns on and tries to focus by moving up and down, then shuts off. The disc never spins during any point. I cannot hear the motor stressing to spin either.

Has anyone had a similar problem, and is there an easy fix??

2. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

would one of the surface mount fuses cause this type of problem if it was blown?

3. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

ok, I finally figured out what the problem was.

I checked every single surface mount fuse that was on the system and couldnt find anything wrong with them. So I started to look at the actual wires from the due2 se chip. There are 2 wires that have to go from the back of the board to the front where all the other wires solder to. Those 2 wires were put through one of the mounting plate holes. It was fine until I went and put the screw in and tightened it. I guess that skinned at least one of the wires and shorted it to ground. That seems to be the correct pin to reset the PS2 factory setting. SO once you are done there you can select your market of sale, your clock and the time zone. Also the main menu language.

Who knows maybe I just found out something great. Anyway the unit is back together and working fine. Now its time to get back to installing linux on the unit.

BTW: thank you to everyone who posted a reply to help me through this. ;)